News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Weird problem

Started by JPaganel, July 09, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

I had no issues on the way to work this morning. On the way back I started with choke, as usual, turned it of in a little while. Then, about ten miles down the road the idle kicked up to 3000. It stayed that way almost all the way home, and then dropped back to normal.

The throttle didn't seem to be stuck or binding in any way. The idle has been smooth for a month or more.

I don't get it.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

FJmonkey

Quote from: JPaganel on July 09, 2013, 09:50:19 PM
I had no issues on the way to work this morning. On the way back I started with choke, as usual, turned it of in a little while. Then, about ten miles down the road the idle kicked up to 3000. It stayed that way almost all the way home, and then dropped back to normal.

The throttle didn't seem to be stuck or binding in any way. The idle has been smooth for a month or more.

I don't get it.

Vacuum leak maybe???
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

JPaganel

Figured it out.

It was the damnedest thing. While I was changing the starter out the other day the vacuum hose to what  I think is the ignition module slipped out of place and today it, apparently, got caught in the enrichment valve linkage. Basically, I was running with the choke on.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

chiz

Bloody Hell
I put the tank back on for the um-teenth time put some gas in it and guess what...it bleeeping wont start, what the bleep.. Thing is I know when I try again in a few hours it will start.
  I now honestly think that if this tank was located a decent height above the carbs I would not have a problem..
The blasted fuel line basically runs horizontally across the top of air box then has to dribble into the "T" that feeds the carbs,,,, the diagram on top of the air box basically depicts this, dammit.
Lez :wacko3: :wacko3:

fj11.5

Easy fix, remove the box,and fit uni pods from RPM,  ,is the fuel line from the tap, going under the two inlets  :empathy:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

chiz

So  right but don't want to go there yet./. Have heard that taking the air box off causes other running problems and that CVcarbs don't like a lot of turbulent air around them as youwould get with pod filters. Any of these points worthy? :bomb:

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

Flynt

There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...