News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New Member & '86 FJ1200 Possible Project

Started by Feasible, July 09, 2013, 09:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Hi Great read so far.

I love working on these bikes. Investing in some quality tools is a must, and now justifiable to she who must be obeyed, as a nut that has been rounded off by, shall we call them, flexy tools (cheap items from the value shops) are a pain in the arse.

Be very careful of the moditis, but in my opinion a few of the mods are a must do. e.g. Braided SS brake lines and a spin on oil filter conversion. Again in my opinion the suspension should get some $$$ thrown at it too.

would love to see some pics of the work in progress. On the FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/2331723123/ I know there is a FJer from Burleson Tx. Tommy Bedford, who could probably help.

Good luck from Australia

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Ivan from England

Quote from: Feasible on July 09, 2013, 09:53:44 PM

Hi. No dilema. You said : I MISS RIDING THIS BIKE!

I have been there. Buy a working one and enjoy the dry weather (assuming you are in the Northern Hemisphere). Break the old one, sell it for parts, you'll get plenty of cash to pay for the overdraft or loan you needed for the newer one. Great examples available for under 3 grand.

I bought a 2002 FJR a month ago. A truly awesome bike !

Cheers,

the fan

Quote from: the fan on February 14, 2014, 08:13:27 PM
Randy, I have had good luck using ZEP brand Calcium lime and rust remover diluted 50/50 with water as a rust dissolver/converter. If there is heavy scale drop in a handful of steel nets to shake around and knock the scale loose.

Let the mix soak in the tank overnight and then chase with a small amount of baking soda in distilled water to rinse and inspect. If you don't get all the rust the first time simple pour the mix back in and try again the next morning...

Once you are sure you got it all rinse with denatured alcohol and dryit out with compressed air.

Phosphoric acid works much faster but can quickly ruin paint. The CLR is far more forgiving.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=11012.0