News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

1984 FJ1100 Rebuild Project (Pic Heavy)

Started by Sour1, July 09, 2013, 10:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sour1

Hey, Guys.  I've been reading/lurking for some time now and figured it was about time I post some pictures of an FJ1100 rebuild I've been working on for almost three years now.   Life has kept me busy so the rebuild took some time.  Good thing I have another bike to ride (1980 XJ650). The rims, tank, and frame were powdercoated by a local company.  With the exception of the swingarm everything else was either painted, powdercoated, or polished in the garage. I fired her up the other day for the first time and she ran!  I didn't want to post until I was sure it would run.   :biggrin:
There is still a lot to do but it sure is exciting to get it this close to being on the rode instead of still sitting in my garage.
A big thanks to Dad, the wife, friends, Randy at RPM, and this forum!

New/rebuilt parts include, but not limited to:

90* valve stems
Stainless braided and wrapped lines
calipers
master cylinders including new site glass
Barnett clutch and springs
Undercut gears
Vibranators
Smoked taillight with integrated turn signals
Li-Ion battery
New seat cover
Stainless bolt kit
Rear shock from newer bike
ZZZ chain
Progressive front springs
And other things I don't recall at the moment. 

Here is a link to my gallery with more pictures:
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=252;u=1810

And here are a few pictures for the post:

1980 XJ650
1984 FJ1100

rktmanfj

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

fj11.5

Great work mate,swingarm looks awesome ,,
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

VaughanCustoms

Very nice, that swingarm does look sweet. Did you just polish the crap out of it or have it chrome dipped? A unique bike and I like it.
Built not bought is always my motto.
1967 Mercury Cougar 289 4V bored .30 over forged internals full ground up build
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible DOHC 4.6 .30 over forged internals, future turbo car. 400 rwhp.
1984 Yamaha FJ1100 street fighter V&H exhaust, re-jet, K&N pods.

Sour1

Thanks, VaughanCustoms.  I didn't do the swingarm.  A local guy with the proper machinery for polishing large parts quickly did the work.  It would have taken me another month to get that swingarm polished.   I wasn't sure I wanted anything shiny on my bike, but it looks pretty good. 
1980 XJ650
1984 FJ1100

VaughanCustoms

Ok nice, so whats the bike looking like these days? You doing a factory type rebuild or going to get your own custom look?
1998 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible DOHC 4.6 .30 over forged internals, future turbo car. 400 rwhp.

Sour1

Quote from: VaughanCustoms on July 12, 2013, 02:33:13 PM
Ok nice, so whats the bike looking like these days? You doing a factory type rebuild or going to get your own custom look?

The bike is the same as the last picture in the post.  I had some petcock and carb issues that needed resolved this last weekend.  Wow.  That bike is going to perform beautifully!  I think the "kookaloo" will show up right after the break-in period.   :biggrin: 

I'm still undecided on what to do with the plastics.  Some carbon fiber vinyl wrap might be in order.  That, or I'll try my hand at painting.  For now the FJ will get a temporary headlight so I can ride it on the road.
1980 XJ650
1984 FJ1100

VaughanCustoms

You going to go back fully stock or are you going to go kind of a street fighter style a little kind of like what I am doing as I was missing alot of facotry fairings and bits.

Sour1

It will mostly be factory looking but with a custom paint or vinyl wrap appearance.  I'm planning on using an Android device fiberglassed into the fairing somehow for speedo and maps.  There will be no other gauges except for an oil temp gauge.  After the initial break-in and vetting of the bike the electrical mods will be done (coil and headlight relays, USB port, etc.).  After the factory plastics are finished and on the bike I will start looking for bags, a new seat, and a different exhaust.   The FJ will see many road trips so I can make a proper bobber out of my XJ650. 

I put an initial tune on the bike this last weekend and am happy with the results.  A final tune will come in a week or so after some other things are finished.  Overall I'm happy with the outcome so far.  Pretty good for a motorcycle with a $100 purchase price.   :good2:
1980 XJ650
1984 FJ1100

Dads_FJ

Quote from: Sour1 on July 15, 2013, 02:41:00 PM
It will mostly be factory looking but with a custom paint or vinyl wrap appearance.  I'm planning on using an Android device fiberglassed into the fairing somehow for speedo and maps.  There will be no other gauges except for an oil temp gauge.  After the initial break-in and vetting of the bike the electrical mods will be done (coil and headlight relays, USB port, etc.).  After the factory plastics are finished and on the bike I will start looking for bags, a new seat, and a different exhaust.   The FJ will see many road trips so I can make a proper bobber out of my XJ650. 

I put an initial tune on the bike this last weekend and am happy with the results.  A final tune will come in a week or so after some other things are finished.  Overall I'm happy with the outcome so far.  Pretty good for a motorcycle with a $100 purchase price.   :good2:

Do you know the previous owner?  you should rub his face in these pics, nice work!
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

VaughanCustoms

Yeah man nice work, for a $100 thats a huge score for sure. Ok I got ya look forward to seeing what all you do in the future.

Sour1

haha  No, Dads_FJ, I don't know the PO.  Probably don't want to because from what I found when I took the engine apart was not a good thing.  Someone had broken a cam chain and completely botched the repair.  Only two valves in the head were straight and the oil pick-up had lots of large metal pieces in it (pic shown above).  Oh, well.  It's mine now and ready for some action!

VaughanCustoms, I see in your sig you have a Cougar.  I used to have a 1969 Cougar with a factory 390/C6 combo.  Fun car.  Now I'm working on my '71 F100 engine.  It's going from a 360 to a 390 bored 30 over, new crank, heads, cam, ignition, etc. 

The projects never end.   :biggrin:
1980 XJ650
1984 FJ1100

VaughanCustoms

Sweet man, yeah my FJ makes project #4 in my life and I am only 25 and the Cougar was a full ground up restore lol. I have only sold one project and that was my slammed 1994 Ford Ranger Splash 4.0 5 speed.
Don't want to jack your post but here is the two cars.

Sour1

UPDATE:  The fairing has been vinyl wrapped with a carbon-fiber, 3-D wrap.  It looks great from a distance, but up close you can see where I wasn't that great at wrapping.  It's a lot harder than it looks, especially on multi-curved surfaces. 

The first run I took it on in the Fall ended badly.  Two clutch posts broke and sent aluminum shavings throughout the engine.  Then winter hit and I got side-tracked with other things.  After replacing the clutch boss and converting the clutch to 8 wide disks, I'm currently in the process of engine break-in and cleaning. 

I still need to polish a couple pieces and order some additional parts (UNI pods and carb jets), but the FJ is doing well.  It misses a bit at low RPM which is probably due to the K&N filter it currently has with no carb mods.  That will be remedied soon. I took it on a 100 mile trip yesterday and had no issues.  The FJ cruised at 80 MPH and hit 100 MPH a couple times. 

Cheers.

1980 XJ650
1984 FJ1100

TexasDave

Good looking bike. I like the color combination. More infor.  Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.