News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

1993 FJ1200 from Minnesota

Started by 1tinindian, July 20, 2013, 10:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigguy136

After all the close-up looking at the parts, I would put in a new pressure plate and use everything else over. I always put grease on the gaskets so they won't stick when taking something back apart but I see the gasket did tear. Hopefully the old gasket will come loose from the surfaces without too much work.

1tinindian

Quote from: RichBaker on July 31, 2013, 08:20:16 PM

Can you even feel indents there?

Ever so slightly, I was expecting worse.
You'll never guess by looking at the odometer that this thing has an additional 100K on it!

Quote from: racerrad8 on July 31, 2013, 08:57:05 PM

Leon, I am sorry I missed this last night and all of today, I thought it was another bike sale post...but then Rich said clutch basket.

Good to go on the basket & clutch boss. You need to look at the frictions and steels and then make a decision on which option you want to choose for better clutch engagement.

The options are well listed throughout the annals of this forum. I am here to help you will any option you choose.

Randy - RPM

No worries Randy, I'm in no rush.
This is a lot of fun looking the old girl over.

I don't have any pictures from tonight, but I did measure the frictions, steels, and the spring free height.

The spec for the steels are 1.9-2.1 mm
They all measures from 1.98-2.01 mm

The fibers spec is 2.9-3.1  with a min. of 2.8mm
They all measured from 2.97-3.05 mm

The clutch spring free height min. is 6.00 mm
Taking several different measurements around the spring, I got anywhere from 6.32-6.50 mm

I still haven't checked warp of the steels or the spring yet.

At this point, I'm pretty happy with the clutch over all, but my 91 FJ has spoiled me with the double spring and adjustable clutch lever.
I may go with those changes along with adding the wider fiber in the back of the clutch pack, and button this sucker back up.
I plan on starting a shopping list with you very soon!

Quote from: bigguy136 on July 31, 2013, 08:49:23 PM
Nice to finally see what the clutch looked like. I was going to pull the clutch just to see it but never did. Glad you posted some photos.
I kept the wire in the clutch as it was to add a slight drag if shifting when you weren't moving. The clutch did have a little bit of slip when at full throttle and at the torque peak but otherwise it felt good.
I think I have a few complete clutch baskets, pressure plates ect at my shop. One of these days I should start opening up some of my boxes...
Thanks again for the photos and bringing back the memories of when I did the shifter.

I'm glad the pictures were of interest to you Kevin, your input is highly valued, thanks.
I plan on documenting (with pictures) as much as I can with this bike, not unlike all my other vehicles I've had in the past.

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

Derek Young

So Leon.... how are you gonna add the pink stripe? Pin striping brush maybe? :blum2:

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

1tinindian

Quote from: Derek Young on August 01, 2013, 08:35:35 AM
So Leon.... how are you gonna add the pink stripe? Pin striping brush maybe? :blum2:

Derek

The garage is only big enough for one pink stripe! LOL
I have not plans on altering the paint work on this FJ.

Leon
91 FJ1200

jscgdunn

92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

bigguy136

Almost forgot, when putting in the steel plates, I always put the plates in with the burr side out. I feel that if the burr was facing inward and under hard acceleration, the burr will bite into the inner basket as the clutch pack tightens not allowing the clutch to grab fully.

giantkiller

Kevin is going to send the tool/ modified punch. When he gets a chance. And I will keep it and make it available to anyone in need of making a right side shift. I will want to keep it I case my brother needs to do up another. And to make sure it doesn't disappear and not be available for someone who needs it.
Thanks again Kevin. And Leon

Going Sunday to look @ 3 fj's  for  my brother. Hope to buy one.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

giantkiller

Now my other brother wants one. I think I want one of the ones I'm going to look at. May come home with 3 more fj's tomorrow the third one doesn't sound like that good of a deal. But I told my other brother I would offer a low price and leave it at that

But with my luck they probably will all sell tonight
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

My brother just bought an 86 all red  from Norman Oklahoma today. So the parts for the right side shifter will  be going on this week.
Thanks again Leon and Kevin.  The bike already had forward pegs mounted on the lower engine mounts so he can put his leg a little forward when he needs to. Plus he's going to meet me at the ECFR...and ride the dragon.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

1tinindian

I have really fallen behind on my updates on this bike, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy working on it.
Late last fall, I swapped my 91 FJ wheels/tires/brake rotors on to the 93 as the wheels were already polished, the tires were in better shape, and the rotors were far better than the 180000+ rotors that came on the 93.

The front calipers were swapped out for the blue dots and the front brake master and lever are now from a FZ1.

The carbs have been given the treatment from RPM and are on the way back as I type.

I have also gotten the bug to do the gixxer rear wheel swap and have just recently finished cleaning up this ebay find, as well as locating all the parts to complete the swap.

Look closely, as you can see the wheel was originally Periwinkle, but had been repainted  a light blue. Neither would do!
So after stripping the paint, finding it completely sand blasted, I sanded the edge smooth, polished the rim and sprocket carrier, then masked off the shiny bits, and glass bead blasted the center of the rim and the spokes.
So now, I'm more at the mercy of the winter weather we are having now, and look forward to spring and riding again...Updates to continue as progress is made.

Leon

91 FJ1200

movenon

Nice Leon !!!!!!!!!!!! You do beautiful work. Which I had your talent. The weather this year has a lot of us running slower. A few weeks ago it actually got up to 42 degrees and sunshine for about 2 hours............. :dash2: Not to much snow here just cold and grey.
Damn, that wheel sure looks good...
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJscott

Looks great. I am at a standstill with my gixxer rear wheel swap. As I was cleaning the sprocket to verify the
Number of teeth and pitch I discovered it was a 525 pitch. I had to special order a 42 tooth 530 from
Sprocket specialties.

Scott

movenon

Quote from: FJscott on February 02, 2014, 07:59:53 AM
Looks great. I am at a standstill with my gixxer rear wheel swap. As I was cleaning the sprocket to verify the
Number of teeth and pitch I discovered it was a 525 pitch. I had to special order a 42 tooth 530 from
Sprocket specialties.

Scott

I bought mine from JT Sprockets. I think it was a 92 GSXR 750 but I went with a lower tooth count. http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/5801.

Have you got the spacers figured out yet ? You will like the look of the new rear tire on there.  :good2:
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

1tinindian

George, I will have to wait to figure out the spacers until I start fitting it to the bike.

Scott, how did you know you had the wrong sprocket?
I may have a problem that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks guys ,

Leon
91 FJ1200