News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Picked up my first fj1100

Started by jrk4295, August 01, 2013, 11:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

craigo

We've seen this bike before? Nice looking and once you get the gremlins out, it'll be a fantastic bike. Well done.  :good2:

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

craigo

Quote from: Travis398 on August 01, 2013, 05:55:47 PM
A lot of smiles are in your future, and as you can see........ people envy the 1100 owners.

Don't let it go to your head though, Just get use to it  :drinks:

post a close up picture of your rear brake setup.

Rear brake looks like a Yamaha set up. The gixxer set up is underslung. This one is on top. But could be a GSX???

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

Travis398

Kind of looks stock......from a distance.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

rktmanfj

Quote from: jrk4295 on August 01, 2013, 04:27:33 PM
A few years ago I came across a web site with those rear turn signal mods. I think they are replacement rear side panels made of fibreglass with the indicators built into them.

Harvy

cool deal! good to know

Somewhere around here I have the Motorcyclist magazine article where they did a project FJ.  IIRC, they used some of those on it.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Harvy

Quote from: not a lib on August 01, 2013, 07:14:32 PM

cool deal! good to know

Somewhere around here I have the Motorcyclist magazine article where they did a project FJ.  IIRC, they used some of those on it.

Randy....you got me thinking and yeah, I think it was posted on the old Yahoo group a few years back.........I've lost my link to the archives, was it GMF or something like that (memory is going I'm afraid....lol).

Harvy
FJZ1 1200 - It'll do me just fine.
Timing has much to do with the success of a rain dance.

rktmanfj

Quote from: Harvy on August 01, 2013, 08:22:16 PM
Quote from: not a lib on August 01, 2013, 07:14:32 PM

cool deal! good to know

Somewhere around here I have the Motorcyclist magazine article where they did a project FJ.  IIRC, they used some of those on it.

Randy....you got me thinking and yeah, I think it was posted on the old Yahoo group a few years back.........I've lost my link to the archives, was it GMF or something like that (memory is going I'm afraid....lol).

Harvy

My feeble memory says it was a 1st gen, a theft recovery that they turned into a project with PM wheels & 6-pot calipers, those signals, etc.

Pretty sure the title was Red Hot Resurrection

I used to have a scan of it somewhere.

EDIT:  Duh, I shoulda known to look here first...    http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1377.0

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

jrk4295

The bike came with this fairing on just the one side. Does anyone know where I can source a left side (engine) fairing, as well as the lower chin fairing

Is this a standard amount of rtv? like does is come from the factory like this, or would you say that someone has gotten into it?

rktmanfj

Quote from: jrk4295 on August 02, 2013, 10:30:12 AM
Is this a standard amount of rtv? like does is come from the factory like this, or would you say that someone has gotten into it?

There should be no RTV on that gasket.

If it were mine, I'd pull the cover ASAP to see how much is on the inside.

Randy T
Indy

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

jrk4295

Quote from: not a lib on August 02, 2013, 11:03:42 AM
Quote from: jrk4295 on August 02, 2013, 10:30:12 AM

There should be no RTV on that gasket.

If it were mine, I'd pull the cover ASAP to see how much is on the inside.

Is removing that cover just a matter of removing those bolts on the topside? There arent any external adjustments that im going to turn, is there?

Pat Conlon

Nope, just remove the top bolts.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Dan Filetti

Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 02, 2013, 01:28:27 PM

Wait, guys, doesn't pulling that cover mean he needs to replace the gasket while there, lest it leaks thereafter?  If so, at least he should have said gasket in-hand before pulling the cover? 

Or do I have this wrong, -can the cover be removed and replaced without causing leaks etc?

Dan   
Live hardy, or go home. 

movenon

Quote from: Dan Filetti on August 02, 2013, 03:25:03 PM
Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 02, 2013, 01:28:27 PM

Wait, guys, doesn't pulling that cover mean he needs to replace the gasket while there, lest it leaks thereafter?  If so, at least he should have said gasket in-hand before pulling the cover? 

Or do I have this wrong, -can the cover be removed and replaced without causing leaks etc
Dan   

+1 and the gaskets around the bolts...

One of the things that would be nice is to get rid of the RTV. Small pieces of RTV can end up dropping down into the oil system so be careful, clean up all the RTV, install new gaskets. There is nothing that you can adjust with a wrench. If you have a service manual you can check the valve clearances that's not a bad thing to know with a "new to you" bike.  If you check the valves, write the info down and save for future use.  :good2:
George

Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

fintip

Looks like stock rear caliper to me; surely I'm wrong? What 5.5 allows fitment of the stock rear caliper?

Front--no idea, but it's not a blue spot...

Last two posts are to be heeded on the valve cover. Good to just do an adjustment while your'e in there. Buy a gasket, spend some quality time with a razor blade getting the old stuff off, (DON'T let your shavings sit in the oil well--lay out rags in the oil gallery beforehand, etc.) read the walk through here (and/or get a manual) (this bike uses the same shim setup, except 4 valve per cylinder instead of 2, as the XJ750, so assuming you did that job on that bike, you should know the general idea. (There is a special tool for this bike that is different from the special tool for the XJ's. Don't know if anyone has a method here that doesn't use the tool, never looked.)

For the fairing, not sure, search around, there is info on fairings scattered around here and there on the forum. If you find yourself researching, collect the data and put it at fjowners.wikidot.com/plastic--you can either learn the basic formatting, or just stick it all at the bottom and someone (probably me) will organize it later.

But basically searching for one will require checking ebay regularly and just waiting, maybe/probably for months. Keep an eye on craigslist as well, of course.
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

jrk4295

cool deal...ill see about checking the valves tmmr(sunday). Had all my signals and neutral light go out last night, and I kind of panicked. (memories of the xj and wiring nightmare flashback) haha. Turns out it was a simple fuse blown out, but gave me an excuse to pull the left side controls off the bar, and inspect the horn button. Still sitting with the controls off right now due to my inability to remove the little choke adjuster. Any tricks to that?

Also, is there a walk-through on here for adjusting the valves? I have the feeler gauges, and necessary tools...excluding special tools....but if the special tool is not MANDATORY, I can work around it. We have a full on blacksmith shop, and are totally accustomed to fabricating specialized tools, if need be.

Thanks again to everyone's input. Forums can get pretty dicey, and have a lot of jerks just throwing snide comments; but from everything Ive read, FJowners seems like a pretty tight nit crowd...which is nice.

FJmonkey

The tool looks like this:

Randy at RPM offers nearly everything we need for our FJ's.
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=tools%3AVAT&cat=39

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side