News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Yamaha FJ1200 1993 ABS PROJECT RUSTY HELGA!

Started by MLdesigns, August 05, 2013, 02:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLdesigns

OK SO LETS GET STARTED!

heres the spec as i got Helga:

• full krauser luggage
    progressive springs up front
    goodridge braided lines
    NETA twin exhaust system
    flip up screen
    ebc cast iron floating rotors up front
    rentec crash bars

total paid for the bike £450 Pounds sterling

now a few pics of how i got it :

as you can see im very happy to have HELGA!

and a few vids to show she lives and a walkwaround:

please ignore the chat on the second video just a bit of banter between me and my best bud.

LIST OF PLANNED MODS AND BASIC WORK:

thats all for now but more to come
                                             ride safe
                                                       mike and helga

MLdesigns

I forgot to mention the end cans arr being replaced with shorty reverse cone megaphone cans. The neta one has a rust hole and they look to have been welded badly a few times.

1tinindian

I pink stripe "93"?!
Unusual, as that color scheme would have been a 1991 model in the USA.

Welcome, you seem very pleased with you FJ, keep it up!

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

MLdesigns

Hey bud. Yeah i think it was prob a 91 model that wasnt reg here until 93. And i am extremly happy with helga i first sat on her over a year ago and new then i had to have her.

Ill be giving ol helga a lot of love iver the next few months.

Thanks for the warm welcome leon...

Regards
                Mike and helga

rktmanfj

Helluva a deal, Mike... and no red paint anywhere on it!    :biggrin:     :bomb:

Welcome!   

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

oldktmdude

Quote from: not a lib on August 05, 2013, 09:36:48 AM

and no red paint anywhere on it!    :biggrin:     :bomb:

That's why it was so cheap!   :lol:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

MLdesigns

Quote from: oldktmdude on August 05, 2013, 06:13:27 PM
Quote from: not a lib on August 05, 2013, 09:36:48 AM

and no red paint anywhere on it!    :biggrin:     :bomb:

That's why it was so cheap!   :lol:

oooooooo low blow lol and actually it has got a tiny bit of red on it the paint on the luggage rack as started to peel and the primer coat that has been used is red oxide haha.

on another note ive added another two jobs to my list of mods im going to do:

HID conversion on the headlight. ive done it on a few bikes now works really well.
The led tail light conversion that cuts the extra material from the tail light that hangs down below fairing (as seen on here but cant remember who     did it.
Demon eye conversion not angel because thats a bit too saintly for me. Done by myself as seen below.
Custom bar conversion plate im going to design and have a local firm machine up for me.

the last mod could take a while because its very low on the priority list as it has the stock bars for now.

so there you go a small update going to start snapping pictures of the tear down soon as i realised i got so into it i wasnt taking pictures.

again i want to say thanks for all the kind words. if my helga comes out anything like the level of craftsmanship ive seen on here ill be very happy

even the resale red one lol   :drinks: :good:  :blum2:

warm regards
                     Mike and Helga

MLdesigns

Oh and i just noticed i can not count lol i said 2 more jobs and theres not lol maybe im just ablittle optimistic  :mail1:

movenon

That is a nice project you got there !  Certainly the price is right.  :good2:  Please keep posting the mods as you do them. Looking forward to seeing the instrument cluster mod..  :good2: :good2:
I really like that stock color combo !
Cheers George  :drinks:
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

MLdesigns

thanks George

yeah shes a nice colour but the pictures dont really show how tatty she is. Theres a massive dent on the left side of the tank right along the line where your knee tucks in and the bits of plastic is showing through the paint so shes getting new paint.

nano black pearl for the body work plastics

and ktm orange or ral2009 for details and wheels grab rails crash bars

i plan to redo the fj graphics in that orange and matt black with a twist.

as for clocks my plan is to try and mod the clock surround so that it retains the flow from the rest of the plastic infills.

i want to fit two of these in:

and the clock

the screens are for these:

the other thing im going to do will be the smoked front indicator lenses you can buy with orange bulbs so they blend with the lines of the bike more.

any thoughts and suggestions are always welcome

and as always

warm regards and much love
                                                   Mike and Helga

MLdesigns

ok so a small update.

ive slowly started to tear her down and its not a pretty site. If you are offeneded by a very dirty fj you should look away now:

HAHAHA had u there lol.

thats start of the strip down heres some shots of the worst bits. after a clean with engine degreaser.

and this is the rear master cylinder after a quick scrub with a brass brush. before it was so bad it was just covered in white powder.....

as you can see its a state and before it comes completely apart it all needs a good clean. the foot peg plates have been given a good scrub and are going in the dish washer as i right this post.

on the last bit of news the stock neta cans are dead so i pulled them off and at a local bike show today i scored a set of old supertraps ill fit to her. photos when i go and pick em up next weekend  :D

warm regards as always

Mike and Helga

MLdesigns

ok so just a small update at 2 am this morning i decided i wanted to switch to dirt bar as i prefer the wider grip and i have a set of trials bars which are wider.

i dont even need to lengthen the throttle cables just re route them the otherside of the steering neck

i also have cleaned the foot peg hanger plates. so taking them to see how much they would cost to polish before i get them powder coated.

Pat Conlon

Why would you consider powder coating aluminum when you can easily polish them yourself?

Save your money.
You have your hands full. You have plenty of other more important things to spend your money on.

If you get just a small nick in that powder coat, corrosion on the aluminum will spread under the powder coat and blow the paint off (or clear coat)
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

MLdesigns

Hey pat thanks for your input.  The main reason is I have a great distain for polish and chrome. Since im going to have wheels etc done anyway the price wony be too bad. Thr other thing id that I wanted to do it differently to other people, not because my ways better but because I like to be different.

While im on here I may as well update everyone.....

Well as you have seen from some pictures I got my bars mounted and got my switch gear all cleaned up. Next up is once ive got my exhaust all worked out and tacked up I can pull the system off and prepare that for wrapping. While thats going on im going to have the engine soda blasted and carbs soda blasted and ultra sonicly cleaned. Then balanced. Going to keep engine mods relativly stock for now as I want to ride it first.

Once the rear tyre reaches its wear point ill do the gsxr conversion and the cbr f4i shock mod along with trying to source a lighter swingarm tgat can be braced......   

warm regards mike and helga

rktmanfj

Quote from: Pat Conlon on September 02, 2013, 06:50:47 PM
Why would you consider powder coating aluminum when you can easily polish them yourself?

Save your money.
You have your hands full. You have plenty of other more important things to spend your money on.

If you get just a small nick in that powder coat, corrosion on the aluminum will spread under the powder coat and blow the paint off (or clear coat)
Quote from: MLdesigns on September 04, 2013, 02:36:49 AM
Hey pat thanks for your input.  The main reason is I have a great distain for polish and chrome. Since im going to have wheels etc done anyway the price wony be too bad. Thr other thing id that I wanted to do it differently to other people, not because my ways better but because I like to be different.

While im on here I may as well update everyone.....

Well as you have seen from some pictures I got my bars mounted and got my switch gear all cleaned up. Next up is once ive got my exhaust all worked out and tacked up I can pull the system off and prepare that for wrapping. While thats going on im going to have the engine soda blasted and carbs soda blasted and ultra sonicly cleaned. Then balanced. Going to keep engine mods relativly stock for now as I want to ride it first.

Once the rear tyre reaches its wear point ill do the gsxr conversion and the cbr f4i shock mod along with trying to source a lighter swingarm tgat can be braced......   

warm regards mike and helga

Damn, Pat... you're gonna have to work a little harder to get this one converted...     :biggrin:      (popcorn)

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350