News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Your dad only turns 80 once...

Started by Capn Ron, September 18, 2013, 01:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

If it's on a popular m/c route, it *may* not be a bad investment if you could pick it up for pennies on the dollar.
I see masonry walls....no worries about termites or dry rot.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

moparman70

Looks like a FREE FLEA Place to stay

sc

Capn Ron

Quote from: Pat Conlon on September 10, 2017, 12:51:47 AM
If it's on a popular m/c route, it *may* not be a bad investment if you could pick it up for pennies on the dollar.
I see masonry walls....no worries about termites or dry rot.

Definitely have NO interest in that mess, but it put some "closure" on a very bad experience by seeing its closure first hand!
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

mtc

thank you for all the hard work, in putting this together, what a trip! 8 years ago
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Live Life Wrong and Perspire

GhostMerc

Ron,

Do you have this whole story in a more easily digestible format?  I've been slowly putting this whole post into a word document and I'm up to 184 pages so far.  I'm trying to put it together for my dad mostly.  He's been saying for years how he wants to take off on a motorcycle trip and not come back until his second set of tires needs replacing.

Have you looked into making this a book?  "People on a Riding Mower Will Always Wave Back and Other Thoughts From Inside a Helmet"
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09

giantkiller

Quote from: GhostMerc on June 17, 2020, 06:34:15 AM
Ron,

Do you have this whole story in a more easily digestible format?  I've been slowly putting this whole post into a word document and I'm up to 184 pages so far.  I'm trying to put it together for my dad mostly.  He's been saying for years how he wants to take off on a motorcycle trip and not come back until his second set of tires needs replacing.

Have you looked into making this a book?  "People on a Riding Mower Will Always Wave Back and Other Thoughts From Inside a Helmet"

I would buy it.

86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Canada.Mach

Quote from: giantkiller on June 17, 2020, 07:33:41 AM

I would buy it.

Same here. I'm pretty sure Amazon makes it fairly easy to "self-publish" a book, as well

Capn Ron

Ron,

GhostMerc,

Sounds like your dad and I would get along just fine!  Honestly, my OWN dad (the reason for this trip in the first place) never knew that I did a write-up on it until just a couple of years ago.  He's SO not a computer guy, so my mom printed out the posts for him to read through.  A few years ago, I started doing just as you are...pasting text into Word...I actually didn't get as far as you have.  I wanted to edit the posts for better "book" flow and started inserting original picture files for better quality.  Right about a month into it, I jumped on my motorcycle to go visit my dad again as I do every year and never got back to it.  Your interest has re-stirred my interest, but in three weeks, I leave for another 15,000 mile trip..so, it'd be October before I could get back to it.

Thanks for the interest...I love that my moto time on the road can help others, stir up some riding ideas or even just put a smile on someone's face...
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

ribbert

Ron,

Cap'n Ron's epic Ride Report is a classic and I reckon it's about time I did the whole thing again. His eye for a photo and knack for an entertaining narrative make for a great read.

I was very disappointed at missing the opportunity to meet him, and for a short time, be a part of his trip down under last year.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

GhostMerc

Quote from: Capn Ron on June 23, 2020, 08:56:00 PM
Ron,

GhostMerc,

Sounds like your dad and I would get along just fine!  Honestly, my OWN dad (the reason for this trip in the first place) never knew that I did a write-up on it until just a couple of years ago.  He's SO not a computer guy, so my mom printed out the posts for him to read through.  A few years ago, I started doing just as you are...pasting text into Word...I actually didn't get as far as you have.  I wanted to edit the posts for better "book" flow and started inserting original picture files for better quality.  Right about a month into it, I jumped on my motorcycle to go visit my dad again as I do every year and never got back to it.  Your interest has re-stirred my interest, but in three weeks, I leave for another 15,000 mile trip..so, it'd be October before I could get back to it.

Thanks for the interest...I love that my moto time on the road can help others, stir up some riding ideas or even just put a smile on someone's face...

I finished putting the whole thing into Word.  I had to compress the pictures in order to get it into a size that could be emailed.  200 pages for around 9mb.  Could use some work with the formatting though.  Each day flows right into the next; i think it should look more like a journal where each day starts a new page.  Word also isn't the most fun for dealing with pictures in the middle of text.
1986 FJ1200
2015 FJ-09

Bud Wilkinson

Ron,
I know I found this several years after you made this trip. I have to thank you for the story and the inspiration you have given this community. This was an epic adventure ride.
It was what could be the modern day "Easy Rider" for the sport touring group only with more of a lone adventurer twist. The film teaser line.
"An epic motorcycle adventure through the land and history of two countries, a true journey of self discovery".

In all seriousness, Thank you for sharing it.
RZ 350 - Sold.
Honda CB600 Hurricane - Sold.
85 FJ1100 - Sold - Sadley Deceased.
Honda Silverwing - Sold Real Fast
02 Harley V-Rod - Sold-COVID 19.
87 FJ1200 - Riding - YZF600R Wheel and suspension done.

Bud