News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

2014 ECFR picture thread

Started by 1tinindian, September 28, 2014, 07:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

Quote from: X-Ray on September 29, 2014, 04:28:46 PM
In that photo with the boom gate across the road Leon, what is the KOA?

Yeah had me tricked a while back too! .......Now ask`m how ta spell Campfire?

(Naaa, no use try`n ta educate`m)  :bye2:
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

ddlewis

Quote from: not a lib on September 29, 2014, 02:02:08 PM
That damned Danny Lewis suckered me into (yet another) 30-40 mile gravel road... "Look here at the GPS, we're almost to the end of it!", he says...

SUCKER!  lol..  Think how rusty your dirt tracking skills would be without me.  :pardon: 

There's two kinds of fun.. the kind that's fun while you're doing it, and the kind that's fun later to talk about - and this was the latter.   :good2:  That Hiawasee dam was cool though.  And google maps says there is a way to get to Murphy NC from Unicoi.. don't know if paved or not.  We'll find out on next years gravel road expedition, right?

Didn't bring a dedicated camera or take a single phone-pic.  regret it now, won't do that again.  I did get a killboy pic though of me and FJScott.  I posted it in the other thread.

Damned Danny.

rktmanfj

Quote from: ddlewis on September 30, 2014, 09:53:32 AM
Quote from: not a lib on September 29, 2014, 02:02:08 PM
That damned Danny Lewis suckered me into (yet another) 30-40 mile gravel road... "Look here at the GPS, we're almost to the end of it!", he says...

SUCKER!  lol..  Think how rusty your dirt tracking skills would be without me.  :pardon: 

There's two kinds of fun.. the kind that's fun while you're doing it, and the kind that's fun later to talk about - and this was the latter.   :good2:  That Hiawasee dam was cool though.  And google maps says there is a way to get to Murphy NC from Unicoi.. don't know if paved or not.  We'll find out on next years gravel road expedition, right?

Didn't bring a dedicated camera or take a single phone-pic.  regret it now, won't do that again.  I did get a killboy pic though of me and FJScott.  I posted it in the other thread.

Damned Danny.

Yep, there sure is a nicely paved (lightly traveled and twisty, too!) road leading to the dam.  It comes out near that Fields of the Wood place, easy to get to Murphy from there.  All the paved roads end 2-3 miles west of the dam, though.

I'm sure that DDDL is planning the next off-pavement expedition for Boone... probably conspiring with Carey to work in a water crossing or two, as well.

I should have the bodywork re-repaired by then.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

ribbert

.........And google maps says there is a way to get to Murphy NC from Unicoi.. don't know if paved or not. 

Damned Danny.

If you switch from map to satellite view and select the highest magnification (or street view if not too remote) you can see if it's sealed or not.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rktmanfj

Quote from: ribbert on October 01, 2014, 08:11:20 AM
  .........And google maps says there is a way to get to Murphy NC from Unicoi.. don't know if paved or not. 

Damned Danny.

If you switch from map to satellite view and select the highest magnification (or street view if not too remote) you can see if it's sealed or not.

Noel

Pretty much everything down there is remote, but civilization is creeping in here and there.

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

ddlewis

Quote from: not a lib on September 30, 2014, 12:50:05 PM
Yep, there sure is a nicely paved (lightly traveled and twisty, too!) road leading to the dam.  It comes out near that Fields of the Wood place, easy to get to Murphy from there.  All the paved roads end 2-3 miles west of the dam, though.

We could have stayed north of the dam on the gravel and gone to Murphy too.  I was looking for the quickest way to pavement - believe it or not..  :biggrin:  We turned south at the site of the picture and where the two ADV style bikes went by.. Had we stayed headed west on that so called Joe Brown "Highway" (seriously that the name of the gravel road) it goes pretty much all the way to Murphy but turns to pavement at some point before it gets there

needs a skid plate.. 

yeah Ribbert, I do that all the time when looking for gravel roads.. zoom in on google maps/earth as low as possible.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between graded gravel and chip-seal from that height unless you can see a grassy hump down the middle.

rktmanfj

Quote from: ddlewis on October 01, 2014, 01:18:42 PM

We could have stayed north of the dam on the gravel and gone to Murphy too.  I was looking for the quickest way to pavement - believe it or not..  :biggrin:  We turned south at the site of the picture and where the two ADV style bikes went by.. Had we stayed headed west on that so called Joe Brown "Highway" (seriously that the name of the gravel road) it goes pretty much all the way to Murphy but turns to pavement at some point before it gets there

needs a skid plate.. 

yeah Ribbert, I do that all the time when looking for gravel roads.. zoom in on google maps/earth as low as possible.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between graded gravel and chip-seal from that height unless you can see a grassy hump down the middle.

I'll have a Dual Sport bike along for the next rally.  :yes:

Randy T
Indy

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

rlucas

Stop it. You guys are makin' me want to put the TKC 80s back on the WeeStrom before next May.
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

rktmanfj

Quote from: rlucas on October 01, 2014, 04:15:12 PM

Stop it. You guys are makin' me want to put the TKC 80s back on the WeeStrom before next May.

Like that would be a bad thing.    :biggrin:

You know you want to...

Randy T
Indy

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350