News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Motorcycle wheel widening 2015

Started by Capn Ron, March 11, 2015, 06:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Ron

Hi all,

I wanted to post up the info I found on custom wheel widening.  This would be using your stock wheels, hubs, rotors, axles, (ABS), bearings and the like.  Seems that the ideal setup in wheels (from what I've gathered) is a 17 x 3.5" front and a 17 x 5.5" rear.  There are many wheel-swap options out there and even more write ups on them...so I'm not addressing those here at all.

What essentially happens is your stock wheels have the "lip" cut off, then a custom spun hoop is welded on to your desired dimensions.  Rims can be widened (in the case of the front from 3" to 3 1/2" and the rear from 3.5" to 5.5")...and also increased in diameter (in the case of the rear from 16" to 17").

This work used to be done by Kosman Specialties in Windsor, CA who sourced the "hoops" from Custom Metal Spinning in Santa Fe Springs, CA.  Kosman no longer provides this service but it is now being done by Walter at Custom Metal Spinning.

I had a nice chat with Walter this afternoon and he was most helpful.  Even though I was just looking for pricing on this pass, he spent considerable time asking questions, understanding my project and even walking me through the process on my particular wheels.  Since he's down here in LA, he even invited me to visit his shop to see the operation before I made any decisions.   :hi:

The details:
Any wheel, any diameter, any width is really the same effort as any other and runs $755 per wheel.  Even though the front wheel is only being widened by 1/4" per side, it's still $755.  If you would like the weld bead ground to a smooth finish, that's an additional $150 per wheel, but he offered his preference for leaving the weld as-is.  He does not do chroming or powder coating so it would be up to you to use either a powder coater he recommends...or use one that you like for whatever price you negotiate on your own.  I'm not sure if there are busy times of the year, but today he quoted me a 3-day lead time to have these done.

Their phone number is (562) 696-3602
He has a website that mostly features a lot of custom spun wheels for various applications.

http://www.custommetalspinning.com/default.asp

Hope this information is helpful to someone.
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Capn Ron on March 11, 2015, 06:21:45 PM

Since he's down here in LA, he even invited me to visit his shop to see the operation before I made any decisions.   :hi:

If you visit, please invite me...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

giantkiller

Wow. So by the time you get done with powder coating about $2000. If your going that far. For about another $1000. You could get a brand new set of Marchesini forged magnesium wheels. Or forged aluminum for less.

But I suppose if you have to keep it totally stock looking. And put good tires on. Purists might jump at the chance.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Steve_in_Florida

Cheese and Rice!

Man, I'm gonna have to start charging more for my services to afford something like that!

...but no one wants to pay $20.00 for a cup of coffee! Some were even balking at $2.00.

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

ZOA NOM

Yeah, i chatted with Walt for a bit, and he acknowledged that the FJ world would probably not be a significant customer base with the age of our bikes, and the viable options that are already out there for wider wheels and new rubber. He seems to be a great guy, and willing to work with you, but he can't do much about the cost. My GSXR rear and FZR front wheel swaps have been perfect for me.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

craigo

I have it on good authority that the XJR ABS wheel will be available soon. I don't know the price point yet but as soon as I hear the wheels are in country, I'll spread the work.

Randy at RPM is helping this happen as well.  :good2:

As 87-88 FZR rims are becoming more scarce, I wonder if someone will cone up with a new option for that.  :unknown:

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

Country Joe

Quote from: craigo on March 12, 2015, 10:36:47 AM
I have it on good authority that the XJR ABS wheel will be available soon. I don't know the price point yet but as soon as I hear the wheels are in country, I'll spread the work.

Randy at RPM is helping this happen as well.  :good2:

As 87-88 FZR rims are becoming more scarce, I wonder if someone will cone up with a new option for that.  :unknown:

CraigO

One potential option could be finding a machine shop that would have some tooling built to quickly bore out the right fork leg axle hole to 17mm and bore and tap the left side leg to use the later FZR wheels. That should open up many more available wheels than we currently have access to.
1993 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

Solution: USD's

The chicks are back...
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Country Joe

Quote from: Pat Conlon on March 12, 2015, 12:00:56 PM
Solution: USD's

The chicks are back...

Well, there is that to consider. Giant killers GSXR fork swap looks like a great option.
1993 FJ 1200

giantkiller

Yes and ready made extensions are available.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1