News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Keeping your tank paint safe w a tank bag?

Started by Easterntide, March 30, 2015, 06:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easterntide

Have a nice magnetic tank bag, got it last season for carrying my camera w a large zoom lens while shooting a cycling event. works awesome and i actually prefer riding with the bag on most of the time. My 91 just got a full repaint and i'm a bit obsessive about keeping the nice new paint nice and new.

what are some best practices for using a tank bag and keeping the paint nice?

thanks,
Don

Zwartie

1. Always make sure the tank is clean before putting the tank bag on it. Dust and dirt will scratch the paint if the tank bag moves around at all. I always keep a can of Plexus and/or Pledge and a dookie (Dutch for small hand towel or cloth) in the tank bag.
2. Make sure the surface of said tank bank is always clean before putting it on the tank. Being magnetic, be sure to check for small bits of metal that might stick to the bottom surface whenever you set the tank bag down on the ground. In fact, I often set the tank bag upside-down if the ground is suspect.

The two "rules" above have worked for me for the past 20+ years of riding with a tank bag and left the tank intact and purdy. This includes the ride to Alaska in which we rode in some pretty dirty/dusty conditions. You could also put a layer of that clear 3M film on the tank but I haven't found that to be necessary.

Zwartie
Ben Zwart
London, ON
1992 FJ1200
1977 KZ200

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Make sure you have a layer of padding at the bottom of the bag, to cushion any hard items from denting the top of your tank.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ZOA NOM

Just go with a clear protector, like on the front of a car.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJmonkey

If you are willing to change your tank bag then this is an option.

http://tinyurl.com/njvqko7

I have one and the tank does not touch the paint...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Arnie

I have one of the GIVI tanklock bags also (on my other bike).
Make sure you get the correct adaptor to fit the Yamaha tank lid.
I think its the BF05, but check it yourself.

Ribbert should know, he has one on his FJ

Goody

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 30, 2015, 10:28:41 AM
If you are willing to change your tank bag then this is an option.

http://tinyurl.com/njvqko7

I have one and the tank does not touch the paint...
I've got one of theses there fantastic.
John NZ.

Easterntide

i bought my bag because i could handle a full frame camera body w a long 70-200 lens w the big cap on. i shoot some bicycle events and need fast access to a fully ready camera.
I'll either buy a tankslapper kit OR do some 3M Paint Defender...though that's a more permanent solution. I do have 2 cans of the 3M product sitting in my garage at the moment. but the 14$ for the tankslapper kit won't exactly break the bank.
any comments welcome.

fj johnnie

I cut a small towel to the same dimension as the tank bag. It is a small buffer between the tank and the tank bag. It will also allow the cap to breathe a little. Some guys have had fuel exit the tank at the cap when over filled and the bottom of their bag usually traps said fuel which will remove paint. 

theLeopard

1) dont drop the bag
2) when you drop the bag and break the magnets buy a new one
3) turtlewax scratchremover greentub
1992 FJ1200

Quote from: George"It is What It Is Until It Ain't Anymore"

Mark Olson

The tank bag should be removed after a ride to prevent fuel discoloration of the paint. Never leave it on when not riding .

Some of the early fj's will experience will suffer fuel starvation at high speeds when the fuel level drops below half tank. Preforming a flapperectomy will solve the starvation problem but exasperate the paint discoloration if bag is left in place during venting cool down period.   
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

twangin4u

Quote from: Easterntide on March 30, 2015, 06:26:10 AM
Have a nice magnetic tank bag, got it last season for carrying my camera w a large zoom lens while shooting a cycling event. works awesome and i actually prefer riding with the bag on most of the time. My 91 just got a full repaint and i'm a bit obsessive about keeping the nice new paint nice and new.

what are some best practices for using a tank bag and keeping the paint nice?

thanks,

Yeah, it would be nice if they could develop small electro magnets in those tank bags. Something you could turn off and let and foreign material fall off before setting on your tank. I picked up a piece of metal on my bag and as luck would have it just happened to buy a two litre at the store. Put a nice deep gash down to primer on my tank. Looks sweet.
Anyway, magnetic tank bag.. Convenient, but if you value your paint job don't put anything on your tank while your riding. Hell, dust from riding will collect and begin to sand your clear no matter what you do.

Don

ribbert

This bag system is what you need. I have used them for years now (I have 2 sizes) and they totally solve the paint problem.

They are Givi Tanklock bags.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Arnie

Noel,

Seeing your GIVI click-on bag inspired me to get one for my other bike that has a plastic tank with a painted plastic cover, so magnetics won't work.
I like the GIVI bag but am concerned about its security.  Not so much about someone unzipping it and removing the contents (you have that problem with any tankbag) but with someone just UN-clicking it and taking the bag and contents.
Got any ideas to prevent this other than carrying the bag ?

Arnie