News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

possible rally location change

Started by mst3kguy, October 20, 2015, 07:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the fan

The place you are staying looks very interesting. The best part is according to google maps it is only an hour further than Tellico for me.

mst3kguy

Bill, and for you and me and other midwesterners, you have the option of going thru the dragon to get to it.
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

Motofun

When we checked with all the attendees at the 2015 fall rally, all we got was positive feedback on the current campground (Cherahola).  We did discuss with Wayne and he has a waiting list for the week that we currently hold in reserve so if we move out we probably won't be able to get back in.
For my part I like the current location.  Hauling a trailer, especially a big one, Tellico Plains is a straight forward proposition.  The other side of the skyway is a problem for us.  I remember when Carey, Henry and I stayed at the half-cabin years ago and the only real way in is from the south.  This adds a couple hours to to a 13 hour trip.  No way to pull a trailer through the Dragon.
I, obviously, would like to stay where we are.
Jack and Nancy
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

giantkiller

I missed this year.and I like Telico too. But I'm spoiled staying in the cabins. Offered by Telico vacation rentals.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

mst3kguy

Quote from: Motofun on October 25, 2015, 07:57:21 AM
When we checked with all the attendees at the 2015 fall rally, all we got was positive feedback on the current campground (Cherahola).  We did discuss with Wayne and he has a waiting list for the week that we currently hold in reserve so if we move out we probably won't be able to get back in.
For my part I like the current location.  Hauling a trailer, especially a big one, Tellico Plains is a straight forward proposition.  The other side of the skyway is a problem for us.  I remember when Carey, Henry and I stayed at the half-cabin years ago and the only real way in is from the south.  This adds a couple hours to to a 13 hour trip.  No way to pull a trailer through the Dragon.
I, obviously, would like to stay where we are.
Jack and Nancy

J&N,

i can't remember specifically where you guys are, so i just plugged in a city in the northeast corner of PA and mapped it out from your place to Robbinsville, vs your place to Tellico Plains.  Turns out travel time to Robbinsville is 8 minutes longer and 10 miles longer than to Tellico Plains.  the majority of that route is either interstate or state routes (including 74).  and i guess i missed that poll at the fall rally, because i haven't been happy with locations since the koa disappeared.  what i know is, is that people have, in fact, been interested in moving the rally for the reasons i stated at the beginning of this thread.
dean

mst3kguy

Quote from: the fan on October 23, 2015, 06:46:30 PM
The place you are staying looks very interesting. The best part is according to google maps it is only an hour further than Tellico for me.

Bill,

the campground was very big, right on a river, had a nice general store, and the cabin was very nice with bathroom and our kitchen appliances included a full-size fridge, stove and oven, and microwave.  also had a/c and articifical fireplace with heat.
dean

carey

Dean,

I appreciate you taking this on, but anyplace in Stecoah or Robbinsville would require a portion of 28.  Not an easy drive when towing a 5th wheel.  If nothing else, Tellico is easier to get to.  I would prefer to get further away from the Dragon/crowds.

To me, Stecoah is no better than Fontana campground or resort for selections of places to eat.  Robbinsville would be better in that regard. 

Anything near Madisonville or Marysville?  This could be a longer drive for our Southern brothers and sisters, but possibly easier following I-75 from Atlanta.  What about Asheville?

Where ever the majority decides, I'm sure Henry and I will find it :biggrin:

mst3kguy

carey,

in my opinion, i'm not too interested in maryville or madisonville, as those are still west of the cherohala, hence still the problem of riding into the sun.

bryson city does not involve traversing sr 28, it's right off 74.  in fact, it's just a few minutes after where we turn left onto 28 from 74, to head towards franklin.

it has 17 or so cabins, some modern, some rustic, i'm pretty sure all had showers, all had kitchens.  plenty of rv sites, and plenty of tent sites.  an 8-shower bathhouse for the tenters.  the office had a supplies---ice, firewood, pretty much everything the koa has, plus a fair amount of food items.  bryson city was very nice---lots of cool little diners and pubs.

wouldn't it be nice if we had a location that met everyone's needs---cabins with showers, tent sites with showers, rv hookup, in a good location near plenty of the roads that we ride?  wouldn't it be nice if we had a location where everyone was there at that location? wouldn't it be nice if we had a location that had plenty of dining establishments?  wouldn't it be nice if we had a location that allowed us to ride one of our most favorite roads without tainting it with riding into the sun every time?
dean

racerman_27410

oh wouldn't it be niiiiiiice......  love me some beach boyz  :biggrin:

:good2:

the fan

I'm with Dean on this one.

Since the closing of the KOA the rallies have lost some of the 'magic' for me. Before it had a great vibe and really felt like a rally. The past few years have been fun, but it was more like a trip to the mountains with a few old friends. Not necessarily a bad thing, but no where near as memorable.

Keep in mind that I can head down and ride the mountains anytime I want, but choose to only head down for the rallies. Hell for the past few years the only riding I have done is at the rallies...

As far as the sun in the eyes thing... It beats a sharp stick, but I am getting old and it's now more about comfort than adventure... sometimes.

mst3kguy

Correction:  the campground is just past where we turn _right_ onto sr 28...
dean

ddlewis

Bryson City, still 2 hours out of TPTN, is about where I deeply regret my decision to ride down.  it would be SWEET to be able to stop there.

To get over to the east side of the mountains off I81 S, just before Knoxville, take I40 towards the SE then take 74.  Shouldn't add much if any time and is easy driving.  Even all the way into Stecoah is still pretty easy.

ECFR not what it used to be in koa days.  I'm liking the idea of a change the more I think of it.  The worst thing about it is no more Tellico Beach drive in.  That hurts me.

mst3kguy

Suzanne took some pics of the campground.  Someone volunteer to post them on here and I'll send them to you.
dean

mst3kguy

dean

ddlewis

Quote from: mst3kguy on October 27, 2015, 12:42:00 PM
http://www.deepcreekcamping.com/diagram.html

Are you saying you think this is the place?

It looks good and I like the location.. my only concern is it looks a little more family oriented - less biker centric.  What's their bonfire/potato cannon/timpani policies?  We don't want to be hassled by the man for drinking beer after 10:30.

If you think it would work for us and be an upgrade that's good enough for me to give it a shot.