News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

A bit of a cleanup (down under)

Started by FJools, July 20, 2016, 05:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJools

I thought I would start a new thread covering the next phase of work being carried out on my 92 FJ12.

Since the Nowra manshed day last year, and to preserve the planet a little longer, I had to plan on removing the cylinder head and replace the worn valve stem seals.
While the head was off it was decided to give it a full overhaul with a very light porting job to blue print what I have been told by tuners are very good cylinder heads.
The work was entrusted to Bruce Woodley at Powerflow in Maude, North Geelong who does all my 2 stroke tuning. The head was despatched before I went to Europe in June and I just picked it up from the post office yesterday. A work of art.

I was going to just re ring the pistons but on advice from others on this forum I shelled out for a 1219 Wiseco piston kit and the block will be dropped off for boring out this weekend, after removing the engine for full strip down and check over. I don't anticipate any other problems but I have a new cam chain and starter parts that I may as well fit while its at this stage.

As usually happens when a bike is this far down, the frame may go and be powder coated, along with the subframe............. :crazy:

So thats where it is at the moment. Photos to follow.
Still thinking of something..................

balky1

That's why I don't even like to start messing with it. Once you get there, "well, I should replace that also, and that, and that and that...."  :lol:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

ribbert

Quote from: FJools on July 20, 2016, 05:03:16 PM
I thought I would start a new thread covering the next phase of work being carried out on my 92 FJ12.
While the head was off it was decided to give it a full overhaul with a very light porting job to blue print what I have been told by tuners are very good cylinder heads.
The work was entrusted to Bruce Woodley at Powerflow in Maude, North Geelong who does all my 2 stroke tuning. The head was dispatched before I went to Europe in June and I just picked it up from the post office yesterday. A work of art.

I was going to just re ring the pistons but on advice from others on this forum I shelled out for a 1219 Wiseco piston kit and the block will be dropped off for boring out this weekend, after removing the engine for full strip down and check over. I don't anticipate any other problems but I have a new cam chain and starter parts that I may as well fit while its at this stage.

As usually happens when a bike is this far down, the frame may go and be powder coated, along with the subframe............. :crazy:

Thanks for the update Jools. Yes, having an engine in bits is a slippery slope.

I take it you have never visited the premises of Bruce Woodley. Maude is a farming area out of Geelong, the post office closed in the 1950's and North Geelong is just it's postal address, . If Arnie was still on the forum he would have jumped on you, it's only 11km's from his place (in the country).

I will get in touch with Bruce, I have a head with valves leaking like sieves and was giving some thought to porting while I was at it (slippery slope) but couldn't find anyone with a reliable referral.

For what it's worth, I have a 1219 engine that I don't use but I remember one cylinder is bored smaller than the others. The machine shop told me this was not uncommon with Wiseco pistons which is why they always measure each piston before they start boring. It came back with texta all over the piston and cylinder just to make sure I didn't put it in the wrong hole.
Can't hurt to mention this to the machine shop.

The first time I picked up a Wiseco piston it's lightness was obvious, the difference so great I had to go and weigh them. I forget the figure now but they are way lighter than original pistons to the point you can feel it in the running motor.

I also found the cam timing to be off a bit and installed adjustable sprockets to return the cam timing to spec. That engine was much livelier than the one I'm running now.

As for the frame, you see so little of it when assembled I don't see the point of going to all that expense and trouble (IMO)

Jools, all this engine talk is fine, but the really important question is will it be going in time for the manshed day in Bermagui?

It would be great to catch up with there. Unlike Nowra, the "dyno" might just be a lonely stretch of road somewhere.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on July 21, 2016, 10:26:05 AM

Jools, all this engine talk is fine, but the really important question is will it be going in time for the manshed day in Bermagui?

It would be great to catch up with there. Unlike Nowra, the "dyno" might just be is a lonely stretch of road somewhere.

Noel

[/quote]
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

FJools

Quote from: balky1 on July 21, 2016, 07:21:40 AM
That's why I don't even like to start messing with it. Once you get there, "well, I should replace that also, and that, and that and that...."  :lol:

I'm a sucker for it............ :dash1:

FJools

Quote from: ribbert on July 21, 2016, 10:26:05 AM

Thanks for the update Jools. Yes, having an engine in bits is a slippery slope.

I take it you have never visited the premises of Bruce Woodley. Maude is a farming area out of Geelong, the post office closed in the 1950's and North Geelong is just it's postal address, . If Arnie was still on the forum he would have jumped on you, it's only 11km's from his place (in the country).

I will get in touch with Bruce, I have a head with valves leaking like sieves and was giving some thought to porting while I was at it (slippery slope) but couldn't find anyone with a reliable referral.

For what it's worth, I have a 1219 engine that I don't use but I remember one cylinder is bored smaller than the others. The machine shop told me this was not uncommon with Wiseco pistons which is why they always measure each piston before they start boring. It came back with texta all over the piston and cylinder just to make sure I didn't put it in the wrong hole.
Can't hurt to mention this to the machine shop.

The first time I picked up a Wiseco piston it's lightness was obvious, the difference so great I had to go and weigh them. I forget the figure now but they are way lighter than original pistons to the point you can feel it in the running motor.

I also found the cam timing to be off a bit and installed adjustable sprockets to return the cam timing to spec. That engine was much livelier than the one I'm running now.

As for the frame, you see so little of it when assembled I don't see the point of going to all that expense and trouble (IMO)

It would be great to catch up with there. Unlike Nowra, the "dyno" might just be a lonely stretch of road somewhere.

Noel

Noel,

I have been privelidged to be invited around Bruce's pristine surgery on a few occasions. The Nth Geelong reference was just to give the "non locals" a rough idea of the area. He is a bit of a special character and lately he has been choosey in the work he takes on. I was going to have him do the overbore but he is unavailable for most of August.

The frame on removing many of the ancilliary parts is showing its life with some rust patches and repairs that will not allow me to just flash them over with an aerosol, plus its a good way of inspecting for any untoward cracks or damage that could get overlooked. Once done I can forget around it for my lifetime with the bike !

Once the cylinders are done it will just be assembly and finalising that front end (still undecided on the R6 set up or the standard forks) ready for Bermagui. If all else fails I'll be down on the RZ350  :good2:

FJools

A couple of photos of the head as returned, with a description of the work carried out.

"It looks fine - the stem seals were leaking steadily, guides in good order,and valves also good, subject to finishing inspecting them all. The head is quite 'grotty' and will benefit from a water blast. It has the remnants of black paint on it - are you going to repaint it, or would you like me to clean off the paint when I bead blast the carbon from ports and chambers?
Work carried out - strip completely and check all parts; tape oilways; degrease and water blast to clean oil and grime; bead blast carbon from chambers and ports, and blast paint,etc from outside surfaces; detail port throats, put curve on floor radius, put radius at inlet manifold edge; do multi angle valve seat machining; face valves including 30 degree angle between tulip and seat on inlet valves; dress head gasket face on surface plate; hot, soapy wash; assemble; return post with signature.
The engine had been burning oil, Julian, so if you are freshening up the pistons and rings, etc it will go like a Swiss watch, as the head has come up, and looks, a treat.
Regards,
Bruce"

FJools

Removed the cylinder this morning, it released relatively easily but one of the dowels around cylinder 2 is proving stubborn to remove.
The base gasket is well baked on and is going to need some work too.

Here it is plainly evident that some oil was being consumed................

ribbert

Quote from: FJools on July 22, 2016, 08:39:35 PM
Removed the cylinder this morning, it released relatively easily but one of the dowels around cylinder 2 is proving stubborn to remove.
The base gasket is well baked on and is going to need some work too.

Jools, that is going to be one very sweet engine.

We might have to pull a plug lead to even the playing field at the manshed weekend.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJools

:biggrin:
I hope so Noel, but you don't need to worry as I'm relatively sedate on the road - using the track to get the speed out of my system works well for keeping my license in tact - but then I was always a sucker for a good country road.................but that was on lightweight strokers!

I don't expect too much of a gain, more of a return to a good std engine. The head is only cleaned up and blue printed really. maybe a bit more torque from the extra 31cc perhaps.

The chap doing the cylinder bores is picking it up tonight so I need to get the motor & my finger out this weekend.

FJools

Managed to get the engine out today.  :blum1:

I was quite surprised that the 3XW only appears to have half the engine mounts that the earlier models have..............

The lower rear is not used, neither is the lower front so it only appears to be held in by the upper rear, which has a special bracket bolted to the engine upper top mount to mate up a slave mounting tube with the frame, plus a smilar arrangement at the front via the silentbloc style mounts.........

One Engineless frame and...

A frameless engine  :biggrin:

and thirty minutes later....

And this is one of the reasons to pull an engine down.....

Not a good photo but there is a massive chunk of gasket wedged in the strainer  :shout:
There was also some smaller bits inside the strainer - not good. And as I haven't changed anything in my ownership that dictated new gaskets its been there a while  :scratch_one-s_head:

oldktmdude

G'day Jools, good to see that you're making good progress. Pretty simple machines to work on, not too many tricky things to deal with.
Your oil screen looks very clean compared to the state Alf's was in. His was at least 50% blocked with some kind of residue that was very difficult to dislodge.
We have his lower end assembled, head reconditioned, ready to install, just waiting on gaskets and the new timing chain to arrive. His pistons and bores were still well with in the service limits so new std rings and a quick hone were all that it required. About another half day's work on it and it should be ready to roll.
   Looking forward to catching up with you in November. Your bike should be a lot more economical and a lot easier to follow once you've finished your rebuild. It'll probably only cost you half as much to ride down here compared to what it cost you to ride to Troy's place.  :lol:
   Regards. Pete.   :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

FJools

Hi Pete,

I hope Alf's is a clean assembly.

They are pretty straightforward. I thought I could get away with leaving the oil pump in situ as my circlip pliers were no good for the tiny external clip that holds the gear on but no - The pump shields one of the case bolts  :mad: So off to bunnings for a Kingchrome kit but I still had to use the dremel to trim the  prongs after all that.

Today the cases got separated. No real issues there just a bit stubborn to separate on the timing side. Triple check all bolts removed and I had to use a light alloy drift up the bolt hole to persuade it to move.

Crank journals are good with no signs of pitting.

Main bearings shells show some signs of surface wear in places, but no pitting or scoring. So usual dilemma - should I replace these with the same type while I'm in here.......
Top case:

Bottom Case:

Gear clusters on initial inspection look serviceable, but I'll clean them up and do a proper looksee.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a NOS camchain for very little dollars from Japan, so this will go in. Looking at the starter chain it should be ok. I have a new damper to fit.

Time to get some Kerosine for the parts washer - stinky day ahead  :yahoo:

oldktmdude

You're making good progress mate. Looks like it should be ready for the Tathra Dyno test at the end of November.
Keep up the good work rate. Love seeing all those cool pics.  :good2: Keep them coming!
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300

FJools

Bit of an update to keep this up there....

Top case cleaned and degreased, will probably need a repaint.

Removing one of the engine mount bushes proved troublesome. I resorted to the hydraulic press using several 1/2" extension bars and a clearance socket on the inside, through the RH mount, to provide a support so that the cases were not stressed during the pressing out of the bush. An old piston pin was used between the bush and the hydraulic ram.
It was a fiddly process with only one pair of hands but eventually the pin shifted with a disconcerting bang.

All good though, inner bushes cleaned up and polished and the brass outer bushes lightly cleaned up with an adjustable reamer.

Next is to clean up the bottom crank case.

Having inspected the frame and degreased it I have decided a repaint is not necessary, and will save some time.

The GRP belly pan arrived on Friday. The unit itself looks sturdy and straight but the finish is a bit ordinary - not gel coated as obviously repaired as it came from the mould. some of the underside edge radius are a bit ordinary and will need some dremel work to be 100%.
Its going to be painted so its not a great problem but I was expecting a shiny white gel coat finish for the price.

I won't be able to check exact fit until I have the engine back in and pipes fitted so will reserve further comment.