News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

A bit of a cleanup (down under)

Started by FJools, July 20, 2016, 05:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: FJools on August 07, 2016, 07:59:51 PM

Removing one of the engine mount bushes proved troublesome......... eventually the pin shifted with a disconcerting bang.

Haha, I know that "bang"

Jools, this is only a couple of minute job with the engine out and well worth while (and cheap)

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

balky1

Quote from: ribbert on August 08, 2016, 09:22:56 AM

Removing one of the engine mount bushes proved troublesome......... eventually the pin shifted with a disconcerting bang.

Haha, I know that "bang"

Jools, this is only a couple of minute job with the engine out and well worth while (and cheap)

Noel

Did anyone ever installed a grease nipple on a swing arm to ease the needle bearings greasing?

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

FJools

Thanks Noel - you are onto something there...........Is it just a case of drilling through into the void between the brass sleeves ?

Balky

I seem to recall someone doing something like that, the suspension linkage bearings would benefit too as they always seems to be forgotten about......
Still thinking of something..................

FJools

Quote from: balky1 on August 08, 2016, 09:38:39 AM

Haha, I know that "bang"

Noel

Did anyone ever installed a grease nipple on a swing arm to ease the needle bearings greasing?

What engine paint did you use Noel ?? did you "cure" it at all? Not sure if its too glossy for me though.
I bought several cans of PJ1 fast black when it became "non environmentally friendly" and disappeared off the shelves. Its a semi gloss so I may try that first when the Missus is out and the oven is free  :yes:

jscgdunn

Haha, I know that "bang"

Noel

Noel,  I am becoming more convinced that you actually have two bikes.  One is a garage queen that is polished on a daily basis and the other is identical but you ride it.....ie an FJ doppelganger.
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

ribbert

Quote from: jscgdunn on August 08, 2016, 04:21:04 PM

Noel,  I am becoming more convinced that you actually have two bikes.  One is a garage queen that is polished on a daily basis and the other is identical but you ride it.....ie an FJ doppelganger.

Haha Jeff, I sometimes feel I spend as much time keeping it looking like I don't ride it as I do riding it. It's a sorry sight at the moment though, it's mid Winter, lots of rain, lots of roadworks.

Still, it's a lot easier to clean if you keep it clean.

I don't mind spending half a day cleaning it just to get it dirty again the next day on a decent ride but I hate it when I spend all that time and then get caught in the rain just going down the shops for milk - Grrrrr.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

jscgdunn

I have 1/2 mile gravel...I can clean it up good....but a few trips up and down it is back to square 1.
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

ribbert

Quote from: FJools on August 08, 2016, 03:38:46 PM

What engine paint did you use Noel ?? did you "cure" it at all? Not sure if its too glossy for me though.
I bought several cans of PJ1 fast black when it became "non environmentally friendly" and disappeared off the shelves. Its a semi gloss so I may try that first when the Missus is out and the oven is free  :yes:

VHT engine enamel. My preferred method for curing is riding it, uniform heat and plenty of it. The engine in the previous picture I painted then left sitting in the garage for six months and dust settled on it. When I went to wipe it off, much of it stayed so it has a slightly furry finish on the upper surfaces.

The gloss level settles down after a bit of use and a few washes. It's still glossy but not as much as in the photo. If they made a satin I would try it. Can't speak highly enough about durability of the paint though. Oil, petrol, time, nothing seems dull it.

The only trap if installing the engine with uncured paint is leaving finger prints on it. I now paint them as soon as they're hung in the frame and before I bolt anything else up, just a bit of masking. The only prep I do is clean it with a kero gun then high pressure wash it, that's it. Never had so much as a pin head of paint come off.

In the photo below, the engine is painted with VHT and for comparison, the clutch cover is original Yamaha finish.

Noel

ribbert

Quote from: FJools on August 08, 2016, 03:32:45 PM
Thanks Noel - you are onto something there...........Is it just a case of drilling through into the void between the brass sleeves ?

Balky

I seem to recall someone doing something like that, the suspension linkage bearings would benefit too as they always seems to be forgotten about......

Yes, the sleeve has rebate in the centre. Install the nipple over that and the grease will ooze out evenly right around the bush.

Balky, I did give that some thought when it was in bits once and can't recall exactly why I decided it wouldn't work very well. Other than the wall of the swing arm not being thick enough (the nipples are metal threads) to tap into, I think I figured you would just end up with a big blob of grease in the wrong spot, nothing to push it all the way around and as the arm only moves through a small arc it would not get distributed.

Might be worth revisiting if someone is bored next Winter.

Noel

balky1

Quote from: ribbert on August 09, 2016, 09:42:09 AM
Quote from: FJools on August 08, 2016, 03:32:45 PM

Balky

Yes, the sleeve has rebate in the centre. Install the nipple over that and the grease will ooze out evenly right around the bush.

Balky, I did give that some thought when it was in bits once and can't recall exactly why I decided it wouldn't work very well. Other than the wall of the swing arm not being thick enough (the nipples are metal threads) to tap into, I think I figured you would just end up with a big blob of grease in the wrong spot, nothing to push it all the way around and as the arm only moves through a small arc it would not get distributed.

Might be worth revisiting if someone is bored next Winter.

Noel

I've heard that newer bikes have the nipple, but I never actually bothered to check how it's made. I am not bored enough, though.  :lol:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

FJools

if the shafts were solid, like in the older jap bikes, they could probably be drilled in from the ends then cross drilled with a counter sunk end at the bearing center. The grease nipple would then be installed on the end of the shaft. Repeat for the other side. a bit more work thats all.

Slowly the parts are arriving that are required for the engine rebuild.I'm looking at some of the POR15 chassis paint for the centre & side stands, front & rear engine mount bars and the fairing bracket. It can be thinned for spraying and is pretty hard wearing stuff though a bit pricey.

I'm going to try the PJ1, since I have it, on the engine. It gives a very similar finish to the RD250/350 cases which are semi matt. Its not going to be a concourse bike so more concerned with practicality.

Not much happening for the next week though as convalescing from surgery and under orders not to strain. I think the doc mentioned lifting X0kg engines was not a good thing yet. he must have been reading my mind !

FJools

As most of the parts have arrived through the post, and the weather was a tad warmer I set to on rebuilding the engine.

All was going well, gearbox and selectors back in to the lower case.,Idler gear installed to the upper case and a new starter chain pad. New cam chain & starter  chain fitted to crank together with a new oil seal. This oil seal supplied didn't have the lip. Note sure about this - do I order an OEM lip style or use this on.........

Anyhow, I figured it would be ok as it was from Randy  :yes:
Then after dropping the crankshaft in the top case and getting all the chains in place I found I couldn't get the starter clutch and shaft to line up. Having my suspicions I removed the crank and checked the new starter chain against the old one - as I suspected it was too short.

Checking on line where I ordered it locally here in Oz I found what may be the reason - The chain is listed in the FJ1200 section but is shown as a 2006 XJR item and number, now occasionally some parts are superceded and its taken for granted (at risk) that being listed under FJ1200 it might be the case but in this case my assumption was wrong. I've contacted the supplier to see if he has the correct one but until this is rersolved it all comes to a halt again.

racerrad8

The replacement seal does not have a lip, that is the right seal.

Sorry to hear about the trouble with the starter chain. FYI, the starter chain is the same for the fj1100, fj1200, xjr1200 and xjr1300.

What part number was the chain you received from the other vendor?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJools

Hi Randy

thanks for replying re the seal info.

the chain part number is 12R-11456-01-00

racerrad8

That part number fits a XS400

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM