News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Disc Brake on Engine's Output Shaft

Started by FJ1100mjk, June 25, 2017, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

An innovative way to reduce un-sprung weight, and centralize mass.

1992 ATK 604

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

FJmonkey

Neat concept. The rear only provides about 20% of possible braking. A small disc and 2 pot set up just might work on a heavy FJ. How much of the weight do you think would be saved from the rear un-sprung weight?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red

Just a consideration here, but if you break the drive chain,
you would lose the rear disk brake, as well as the engine braking.
Hope the front brake can handle the results.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

simi_ed

I can attest that the front brakes will stop an FJ w/o any rear brake.   Even 2 up, not a problem. I've been riding that way for about 25 years.

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

CutterBill

What?  You have NO rear brake?  Care to elaborate?
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

ribbert

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 25, 2017, 09:36:58 PM

....The rear only provides about 20% of possible braking.

...yes, and the harder you brake with the front, the more that figure drops until near enough to zero.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJmonkey

ribbert

I don't conciously think about braking but always use both (except for slow full lock turns) but I lost my back brake on a fast ride down a mountain a while back. Obviously the bike could still be slowed but it felt wildly unsettled braking heavily with just the front. So much so I backed off.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

FJmonkey

Near enough I think Noel. I rarely use my rear brake in the twisties. My logic for this is predictability when leaned over. When leaned over to turn Left I have easy use of the rear brake. When leaned over to the Right my boot is getting stuffed between the lever and land. I fear that if the suspension is doing what it should and causes my boot to apply more brake than intended then bad stuff might happen. I am not a racer and have no intention of being the fastest in any group for any reason. I also could just be over thinking it, I tend to get wrapped around the axial for this.

ribbert

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 25, 2017, 11:12:20 PM
I rarely use my rear brake in the twisties. My logic for this is predictability when leaned over. When leaned over to turn Left I have easy use of the rear brake. When leaned over to the Right my boot is getting stuffed between the lever and land. I fear that if the suspension is doing what it should and causes my boot to apply more brake than intended then bad stuff might happen. I am not a racer and have no intention of being the fastest in any group for any reason. I also could just be over thinking it, I tend to get wrapped around the axial for this.

Mark, tempted as I am to further comment on this subject of corners and braking, I have been down this road before (pun intended) and it didn't end well, I think I'll leave it here.

Noel

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: ribbert on June 26, 2017, 06:54:19 AM
Mark, tempted as I am to further comment on this subject of corners and braking, I have been down this road before (pun intended) and it didn't end well, I think I'll leave it here.

Noel

We'll, that would be fantastic considering that this post was initiated simply to comment on a unique brake system (and on a dirt bike too), and was hijacked and morphed into personal braking techniques on road bikes.

:Facepalm:
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

ribbert

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on June 26, 2017, 08:01:06 AM
Quote from: ribbert on June 26, 2017, 06:54:19 AM

Noel

We'll, that would be fantastic considering that this post was initiated simply to comment on a unique brake system (and on a dirt bike too), and was hijacked and morphed into personal braking techniques on road bikes.

:Facepalm:

Yep, you're right, that's exactly how some of the best, most informative and interesting discussions here come about.

Noel

simi_ed

Quote from: simi_ed on June 25, 2017, 10:08:12 PM
I can attest that the front brakes will stop an FJ w/o any rear brake.   Even 2 up, not a problem. I've been riding that way for about 25 years.

Ed
Sorry Bill, that is not quite accurate. I have a rear brake. I just don't use it.

Ed
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Firehawk068

Although this seems like an interesting idea for possibly reducing a little unsprung weight, and possibly to tidy up the rear wheel area if you have a show-bike, I honestly don't think it would work very well for anyone that lubes their chain regularly. There would be no way to prevent chain-lube from eventually getting on the brake disc or caliper/pads, rendering them useless................unless of course you had a dry, belt-driven bike.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200