News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Dyna 2000 computer install

Started by laseron, November 27, 2017, 06:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

I wonder what they will advise the failure rate is of the "INEX Re Box" (Dyna Mfg). We have seen as many of 5 fail on a race weekend, that I was aware of. Heck there could have been more.

When we have to come up with things like this Red Box Ignition System Shock Proof Mount to help isolate the box, there is definitely issues within the circuit board.

The Yamaha CDI/TCI module mounted in the same location has a failure rate of less than .001% I am sure. In fact in my 20 plus years of racing the FJ powered cars, I have never had a Yamaha ignition box fail. I have screwed up and let out the magic smoke out a couple of times, but I have never been left at the side of the track with a bad one.

Now, I know there a couple of guys here who have had failures. I know for sure Cap'n Ron did, because I had to send him one to complete his 20k trip a few years back. But a couple of all of the years is much better than David having both of his go bad...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

yambutt

Hmmm I just better keep the factory ignition

Yamahahammer1300

The Dyna 2000 ignition module failed on my 89.  Dyna tested it and replaced it,for a fee.  But it was mounted in the fairing, directly above the oil cooler.  It now resides in the tail, in a bed of neoprene.
Chrome don't get you home

ribbert

Quote from: Yamahahammer1300 on December 19, 2017, 09:23:07 PM
The Dyna 2000 ignition module failed on my 89.  Dyna tested it and replaced it,for a fee.  But it was mounted in the fairing, directly above the oil cooler.  It now resides in the tail, in a bed of neoprene.

I did not bother pursuing this the other day when Jools mentioned the OEM electronics were housed there (in response to my suggestion about it being too hot) but seeing as how it's been brought up again....

When manufacturers are hunting around for OEM components (from 3rd party suppliers) they issue a brief of performance criteria, in this case, one of them would be heat.

Manufacturers of after market accessories are bound by no such requirements. In fact, if you read the fine print (or sometimes the bold print) you will see they specifically mention choosing a mounting location away from excessive heat.

I have seen plenty fail, they distort, covers fall off leaving them prone to dust and moisture contamination or actual component failure. If the device has a potted circuit board, the potting material will often shrink and crack from the heat (allowing moisture or dust to short circuit the board) In my experience, dust seems to be a bigger problem than moisture.

The fact is, you will probably get away with mounting it anywhere, as I'm sure someone will point out, but I have seen and fixed enough problems to play it safe on my own bike. As Sparky mentioned, an extra metre of wire is neither here nor there when it comes to voltage loss and if the wiring is secured, protected and joined properly, not an issue.

Maybe Mike could have use the CO2 cannisters he stores in the tail to cool his electrical melt down recently.  :biggrin: (just kidding Mike)  Speaking of which, did you ever find what caused that?

IMO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

JMR

Quote from: Yamahahammer1300 on December 19, 2017, 09:23:07 PM
That's where I mounted mine about 12 years ago and never a problem.