News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

First 100 miles on my 86 FJ1200

Started by ChrisB348, June 23, 2018, 08:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisB348

It was a landmark day for my FJ1200. I clocked my first 100 miles and had a blast. After riding my 67 Shovelhead for so many years it was amazing to experience how smooth and responsive the FJ is. I have to admit I scared myself by grabbing too big a handful of throttle in first gear one time. Daaaammmnnnnnnnnnn...
I really like how easy it is to bend it around a corner. I am looking forward to going over to Nicolet National forest for a ride.
My only complaint is that the headlight is useless, even on high beam. That is going to get fixed shortly. There are too many deer and other critters around here to watch out for. Last night I encountered five deer and damn near ran over a baby raccoon. I don't know who was more startled, me or him.
Well its time for the first oil change and install the RPM Filter Adapter.

Have a great day and be safe out there!!
ChrisB348

1967 Harley Davidson FLFB
1986 Yamaha FJ1200

FJmonkey

Welcome Chris, happy to hear your first 100 miles were mostly safe. Wait till you get to an open road and hit 3rd gear and open her up. Between 5K and redline is the Kookaloo zone.  But there is no hurry, get to know your bike and gently get up to higher speeds to avoid any surprises. Properly set up the FJ is quite stable above 80 even in the corners. The stock headlamp leaves a lot to be desired. LED is making really good advances and some here are already using them. I run a HID and it is like the Sun shooting out front. The HID install is a bit involved and other higher wattage bulbs can melt the connector. So watch the wattage/amps. A relay will help your OEM work better by getting voltage direct from the battery. The LED is low wattage and seems to work well with out a relay. 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ChrisB348

Quote from: FJmonkey on June 23, 2018, 02:35:26 PM
Welcome Chris, happy to hear your first 100 miles were mostly safe. Wait till you get to an open road and hit 3rd gear and open her up. Between 5K and redline is the Kookaloo zone.  But there is no hurry, get to know your bike and gently get up to higher speeds to avoid any surprises. Properly set up the FJ is quite stable above 80 even in the corners. The stock headlamp leaves a lot to be desired. LED is making really good advances and some here are already using them. I run a HID and it is like the Sun shooting out front. The HID install is a bit involved and other higher wattage bulbs can melt the connector. So watch the wattage/amps. A relay will help your OEM work better by getting voltage direct from the battery. The LED is low wattage and seems to work well with out a relay. 

I also had concerns about using a higher wattage H4. I am thinking a good quality LED should do the trick.
I went out riding with a friend today, he has a 2004 1150 GS. We had a nice leisurely ride around the local area. We met up with a guy with a beautiful red 1198 Panigale. Temperature was in the mid 70's and hardly a cloud in the sky. It was the kind of day we all wish for. I took my son out this evening and we saw quite a few deer near the road. It was the perfect end to a perfect day.

Have fun and be safe out there!!
ChrisB348

1967 Harley Davidson FLFB
1986 Yamaha FJ1200

ZOA NOM

Welcome aboard!

Do the headlight relay mod and put whatever wattage bulb you like in there. I run an 80/100 watt bulb that works very well. I wired up a pair of LED driving lights mounted to the engine bars that come on with the high beam switch, and they turn night into day. I commute in the dark every day, and on two-lane backroads, so I worry about the critters too. I don't outrun these lights below 100 mph.

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ribbert

Much money (I spent over $400 experimenting) has been wasted and much time has been spent by members here trying to turn the FJ headlight into something useable. It can be improved, it can be modded to make it easier to be seen but it's never going to provide serious light for night riding in the absence of street lighting.

I have auxiliary lights like Rick (they appear to be the same) and they are amazing, it is like riding in a ball of daylight, they throw light so far around corners, even when leaned way over you can scrape the pegs at night, and as Rick says, they're 100mph lights. Being a wide beam light the throw to the sides of the road is unbelievable. They even look pretty good mounted.

We have Kangaroos here, you need all the help you can can get spotting those bastards at night.

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Tuned forks

I agree with monkey.  The first time I hit 5000 rpm with heavy throttle I was so startled I thought something bad happened to my clutch or engine.  It's definitely a Come to Jesus moment.

Chris, make sure it's pointed in a straight line the first time you grab a fist full of throttle.  I remember my first trip on the FJ, wonderful platform.

Ribbert, I like the way you tucked the road lights inside the cooling scoops.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Charlie-brm

Quote from: ribbert on June 24, 2018, 08:10:44 AM
Much money (I spent over $400 experimenting) has been wasted and much time has been spent by members here trying to turn the FJ headlight into something useable. It can be improved, it can be modded to make it easier to be seen but it's never going to provide serious light for night riding in the absence of street lighting.

I have auxiliary lights like Rick (they appear to be the same) and they are amazing, it is like riding in a ball of daylight, they throw light so far around corners, even when leaned way over you can scrape the pegs at night, and as Rick says, they're 100mph lights. Being a wide beam light the throw to the sides of the road is unbelievable. They even look pretty good mounted.

We have Kangaroos here, you need all the help you can can get spotting those bastards at night.

Those auxiliary lights look very familiar to ones I browsed last year on Aliexpress but there are so many variations out there. Any particular specs or supplier you can provide?
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

Charlie-brm

Quote from: ChrisB348 on June 23, 2018, 08:25:35 AM
It was a landmark day for my FJ1200. I clocked my first 100 miles and had a blast. After riding my 67 Shovelhead for so many years it was amazing to experience how smooth and responsive the FJ is. I have to admit I scared myself by grabbing too big a handful of throttle in first gear one time. Daaaammmnnnnnnnnnn...
I really like how easy it is to bend it around a corner. I am looking forward to going over to Nicolet National forest for a ride.
My only complaint is that the headlight is useless, even on high beam. That is going to get fixed shortly. There are too many deer and other critters around here to watch out for. Last night I encountered five deer and damn near ran over a baby raccoon. I don't know who was more startled, me or him.
Well its time for the first oil change and install the RPM Filter Adapter.

Have a great day and be safe out there!!

The bike I started on was a 1979 Yamaha XS750 - 3 cylinder of about 60 horsepower and weighed the same as the 1984 FJ1100 I have now that's got almost twice the power.
Before finding an 1100 I borrowed an FJ1200 and took it for a spin. When I came back the owner didn't ask me if I liked it, he asked what I thought. I said "I think you better have a plan where you're going before you let out the clutch." They don't bite but they also don't suit doddling about at anything above idle like some bikes while you figure out what you're doing.

When I'm cruising at 80 to 100 kph, going totally off throttle is about this much of a drop in position of my grip on the throttle > | |  From 100 kph to "oops" is the same amount the other way.

Soft hands and safe riding on her. :)
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

ryanschoebel

I know i definitely had a come to Jesus moment on my first heavy acceleration. My brother just rode my 1100 for the first time the other night, and he was amazed at how little he had to twist the throttle to get really moving. I love these bikes
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm