News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil level light stays on

Started by fjmick, July 28, 2018, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjmick

After sitting for a couple years, I finally  changed the oil on my '89 and got it running again to find my level oil light stays on with sight glass full. Any suggestions?

fj1289

Check the sight glass before each ride and RIDE it!

When it's time for the next oil change drop the float sensor out of the oil pan and either try to clean it or simply replace it.

fjmick

Thanks for your reply, that is what I will do. What an excellent motorcycle!!

Mike m

Ride the son of a gun work out the cob webs and go from thier.

red

Quote from: fjmick on July 28, 2018, 08:41:47 AMAfter sitting for a couple years, I finally  changed the oil on my '89 and got it running again to find my level oil light stays on with sight glass full. Any suggestions?
fjmick,

Ride the bike HOT (not warm), then stop at a beefy friend's house.  Tip the bike over as far as you can without both of you losing it, and have a friend kick the bike foot peg firmly, but not too hard. Tip the bike to the other side, and repeat.  It may take a few tip-over-and-kicks to get the float loose, and have the oil light go out.  If that does not help, see above.   8)
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.