News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Shoei to introduce helmets with HUD next year 2020

Started by Pat Conlon, February 10, 2019, 09:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Tuned forks

Frank, that was a really helpful explanation.  Thank you.  I always thought that smart phones must have an accelerometer in them but couldn't figure out how they could have been miniaturized.  Amazing what's inside those suckers.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ribbert

Quote from: rlucas on February 13, 2019, 07:55:59 AM
Quote from: ribbert on February 12, 2019, 09:50:54 PM

Have you considered scanning the Google map print-outs and the paper maps into your phone?  :biggrin:

I'm even more of a Luddite when it comes to smart phones. I use mine for making phone calls, and very little else. It's not a camera, it's not a Web browser, it's not a GPS.

"Machete don't text"  :crazy:

Fair enough. The important thing is you're out riding, how you find your way there doesn't really matter.

How you describe yourself suggests the humour in my post is entirely lost then.  :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on February 13, 2019, 07:29:06 PM
Quote from: rlucas on February 13, 2019, 07:55:59 AM
Quote from: ribbert on February 12, 2019, 09:50:54 PM

Have you considered scanning the Google map print-outs and the paper maps into your phone?  :biggrin:

I'm even more of a Luddite when it comes to smart phones. I use mine for making phone calls, and very little else. It's not a camera, it's not a Web browser, it's not a GPS.

"Machete don't text"  :crazy:

Fair enough. The important thing is you're out riding, how you find your way there doesn't really matter.

How you describe yourself suggests the humour in my post is entirely lost then.  :biggrin:

Noel

As long as you are heading in about the right direction...

And enjoying yourself

Cheers
Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Flynt on February 13, 2019, 10:11:59 AM

PSS - for Noel:  there are already GPS apps for the phone that use the GPS and Accelerometer chips only...  no cell signal required.  Welcome to the near future.

Yes Frank, I know....... My current phone has GPS L1 C/A, L5, Glonass, accelerometer, 256 GB, finger print scanning, split screen, dual sim, 22mp camera and a lot of other near future features (it came with the DeLorean)

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

TexasDave

I don't have a GPS on my bike. Most of my fellow riders do and it is coupled to their Sena comms also. I don't have GPS on my old truck. This is handy if I want to commit a crime. Law enforcement can't place me at the scene at the time. If I had a newer vehicle I would buy a GPS jammer as many people do for privacy. Away from the eyes of the government. They already track us through our smart phones. My first work phone had GPS but it could be turned off and I did. No longer do they give you that option with newer phones. How convenient for the government.

My sister and daughter have new vehicles with large screen GPS. These are very convenient for travel. Locate the next gas, food lodging, average speed, MPG, your location, direction, almost everything. There are a lot of advantages to having GPS.

I grew up before GPS. I like looking at and planning trips with paper maps. I get to see the whole state and all the roads, airports, monuments and small towns with funny names. I think there a lot of advantage to having paper maps.

I think both are adventageous and one of these days there will be GPS on my bike but not on any of my vehicles.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

ribbert

Quote from: TexasDave on February 15, 2019, 11:56:23 PM

I grew up before GPS. I like looking at and planning trips with paper maps. I get to see the whole state and all the roads, airports, monuments and small towns with funny names. I think there a lot of advantage to having paper maps.

Dave

Dave, do you ever play with google maps on your PC?

One problem I never reconciled with paper maps was that any map big enough to cover a decent days riding was of a scale that showed no detail, great if you just want to get somewhere but no good if you want to get there via back country.

I guess how much embrace GPS and like or dislike maps depends on the frequency and type of riding we do. I simply could not do the rides I do with maps. Of the rides I could do with maps it's more trouble and time than it's worth and I would end up at some point chucking it in and head for the nearest highway (if I could find it) to complete my trip.

Don't forget Dave, I also grew up before GPS and spent the first 40 years navigating with maps, road atlas's, written directions, verbal directions, auto club tailored strip maps, maps showing street directories of any towns you may need to find something in, like accommodation etc. Then there's the dark, the rain, the wind, not knowing where you are anyway, the missing road signs, the running out of fuel when you missed a turn only to discover after a miserable night in the bush there was a servo just out of sight around the next bend. I've even knocked on farm doors in the middle of the night seeking fuel, shelter or directions and not being game to head down any road that's not on the map because you have no idea where it goes.

I'm sure nostalgia plays some part in peoples affection for maps but as someone who spent decades riding the country with them, maps suck!

Now Dave, tell us more about what it is you do that requires being invisible to the govt...........

Noel

ribbert

Quote from: Mike Ramos on February 15, 2019, 09:58:58 PM
Interesting take on the subject:

I don't get the significance of his observation or why it's been reported.

There is nothing new about the masses adopting a better way to do something and in the process abandoning the old way, it's been happening since the beginning of time.

And, map reading for basic navigation is incredibly simple, there's nothing to forget how to do. Paper map nav skills are still required for pilots  (and others), even though they don't use them routinely, and I imagine always will be.

Noel

giantkiller

GPS is amazing. A friend of mine is one of those guys that always has the newest tech. Anyway we went atving in the flat tops Colorado. Set up camp at Bear lake. I think it was about 9000ft. You could ride about a hundred miles on trails in all 4 directions. He had one of the  first hand held GPS units. It was back when GPS only gave coordinates, and a Bigg Colorado gazzatere. He wanted to see if we could get from the end of one trail over to the end of another. So we didn't have to backtrack. We were way out in no trails what so ever. When he pulls out the gazzatere and gps. He has his head down in the gazzatere. And just pointed off to the left, and says "there should be a stream over there". I couldn't see anything. So I rode over in that direction. And sure enough a few hundred feet away I found a tiny stream you couldn't even see. We made it to within about ten miles of the other trail and came up to a small cliff that we couldn't get around. And had to turn around. Had to ride the mountains in the dark. To get back to camp. But made a believer in GPS outta me.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1