News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Side panel mounting posts

Started by JPaganel, August 04, 2019, 01:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPaganel

Another interesting thing I found - my side panels are completely missing several of the mounting posts. They stay on held in by the seat.

Since the original posts are gone, gluing them on is not an option. Don't really want to buy new panels, mine are in really nice shape other than that. Trying to mold posts out of whichever plastic medium by hand seems like not a great proposition. 

Any ideas on what to do with them?
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Millietant

Your FJ must be different to mine - it doesn't have any of the posts held in place by the seat ! They're held in by the grommets in the frame/panels. :sarcastic:

But, I know what you mean about the point you're making !

Second hand panels are readily available on-line, so I'd buy as a good a second set as I can find. The only other advice I would give is to lube the grommets each time you put the panels on - been doing that since New on my 89 3CV and never had a problem getting the panels off, or losing them while riding.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ribbert

Quote from: JPaganel on August 04, 2019, 01:51:31 AM

Another interesting thing I found - my side panels are completely missing several of the mounting posts. They stay on held in by the seat.

Mine bike was low mileage mint when I bought it, except for those lugs. My preferred fix is to dowel and glue them if you have both parts, a glued butt join alone is never going to be strong enough.
If you don't have the broken off bit, fashion something out of plastic and join as mentioned above, it's not a precision part. Stick a bit of plastic rod in a power drill and use it like a freehand lathe.

Dean, your idea of lubing the grommets is a good one and you're right, they are the one body part that is in plentiful supply, and cheap.

Mine have been held in by the seat for the last 200k. They still have the most forward lug on each side so they are a snug fit there and the rest doesn't matter, the bottom has a tab and the top lip sits under the edge of the seat.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

CutterBill

Do you have a buddy with a lathe? If so, have him turn some posts out of ABS rod. Tap and thread the posts, drill a matching hold in the panel, hold post to panel with a screw. Paint screw to match surrounding area and it will be hardly noticeable.

And yes, always lube the posts when the panels are off. I find silicone grease to be the best.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

JPaganel

Quote from: CutterBill on August 04, 2019, 10:06:40 AM
Do you have a buddy with a lathe? If so, have him turn some posts out of ABS rod. Tap and thread the posts, drill a matching hold in the panel, hold post to panel with a screw. Paint screw to match surrounding area and it will be hardly noticeable.

If I'm going to be drilling holes, wouldn't it make more sense to just put some kind of a nut into the grommet?  Maybe I can use an expanding wall anchor. :)
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

FJmonkey

PlastiFix has a mold material that allows you make a new post from an existing good one. Turning one is also a good idea.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

T Legg

One of my posts snapped off clean I just super glued it and it held for several weeks then I put a shoulder of plastifix around the base of the post to reinforce it.Its still holding up fine.I'm sure you could do the same with an abs rod and not have to drill through.
T Legg

FJmonkey

If I had the post I would either weld it back on or use an ABS cement with a fiber/cloth wrapped around and flared out from the base. This gives the bond a much larger area where the stress is that causes them to break.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side