News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

2020 Aussie FJ Rally - Dartmouth Victoria

Started by Urban_Legend, February 09, 2020, 05:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldktmdude

Quote from: Tony Mac on February 25, 2020, 10:07:12 PM

Hey Pete, what about me?
I'll be there.
Tony, I didn't forget about you, your attendance is a bit of a rarity these days as well. Looking forward to having a beer and and a chat with you.
And you better have a good excuse for not attending our Bermagui shed weekends!
   Regards, Pete.  :good2: :drinks:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Sparky84

Might be in for a wet day of riding on arrival day, so be prepared.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

X-Ray

Mmmmm, think I will be bringing the other FJ, not the freshly painted and detailed one ☹️
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Sparky84

Quote from: X-Ray on February 27, 2020, 05:11:34 PM
Mmmmm, think I will be bringing the other FJ, not the freshly painted and detailed one ☹️

Quite a dilemma you have Ray, which bike to choose   :scratch_one-s_head:

I think I'll take the red and white one, undetailed  :good:

It's looking like most of the weekend of rain now, Mmmmm  :sorry:

It's been a few years since I've had to ride in a good all day soaking, should be nice  :wacko2:

Cheers
Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

X-Ray

Mmmm, its showing a 50-60% chance of some rain while we are there, and in the days leading up to it. They are good odds, up here 50-60% forecast means zero rain lol,  :good2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

ribbert

Quote from: X-Ray on February 27, 2020, 05:11:34 PM

My non attendance and consequent removal of any serious competition means you can now afford to lower the bar.  :biggrin:

Are yours like mine Ray, by an amazing stroke of luck and coincidence, the two bikes have they same registration number?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 27, 2020, 04:18:14 AM
Might be in for a wet day of riding on arrival day, so be prepared.

I can't believe rain is forecast, it hasn't rained here for 6 mths and late Summer into Autumn is usually the best weather.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on February 27, 2020, 09:05:26 PM

Are yours like mine Ray, by an amazing stroke of luck and coincidence, the two bikes have they same registration number?

Noel
I think Ray's got the Freshly painted one on the cheap rego scheme  :biggrin:

Hope you heal well Noel you'll be missed..

btw Noel, should I soak my clutch plates for 12 or 24 hrs and at what temperature?  :bye2:

1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 27, 2020, 09:14:48 PM

btw Noel, should I soak my clutch plates for 12 or 24 hrs and at what temperature?  :bye2:

Alan, there are some things one simply doesn't joke about, fortunately that's not one of them.  :biggrin:

Noel

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on February 28, 2020, 01:37:50 AM

Alan, there are some things one simply doesn't joke about, fortunately that's not one of them.  :biggrin:

Noel

Sorry Noel, I thought I'd try and brighten your day  :biggrin:

You will be missed at the Rally  :drinks:

Cheers
Alan
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

racerrad8

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 28, 2020, 02:07:51 AM
Quote from: ribbert on February 28, 2020, 01:37:50 AM
btw Noel, should I soak my clutch plates for 12 or 24 hrs and at what temperature?  :bye2:
Alan, there are some things one simply doesn't joke about, fortunately that's not one of them.  :biggrin:
Noel
Sorry Noel, I thought I'd try and brighten your day  :biggrin:
Cheers
Alan

Alan,

Direct from Mike, the owner of Barnett Clutches, who knows more about motorcycle clutches than Noel and the rest of the forum combined, insists on soaking the clutch frictions overnight in the oil they will be operating in.

I just wanted to let you know what one of the largest aftermarket clutch manufactures recommends for motorcycle clutches.

BTW way, Noel speaking "stroke"...
Quote from: ribbert on February 27, 2020, 09:05:26 PM
...by an amazing stroke...
Noel

This reminds me, we are still awaiting your answer to the question since you put it out there...

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=19130.msg194363#msg194363

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Sparky84

Any of these road on our route ?

The following key roads in Kosciuszko National Park remain closed:

Alpine Way area:
Olsens Lookout Road
Geehi Dam Road
Geehi Walls trail
Major Clews trail
Grassy Flats trail
Murray Gates trail
Bicentennial trail
Cabramurra area:
Link Road from Snowy Mountains Highway to Goat Ridge Road
Tooma Road - KNP5 (Khancoban to Cabramurra Road) - expected reopening December 2020
Goats Ridge Road
Elliot Way - expected reopening May 2021
Kings Cross Road
Snowy Mountains Highway area:
Tantangara Road
Long Plain Road
Yarrangobilly Caves Road
Goobragandra Power Line Road
These roads and trails will remain closed until hazardous trees are treated, debris is removed and repair work is completed.

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alerts/alerts-list?fbclid=IwAR1M-XOnkUAmvaRUw81HUXEsgG2eFKxVg98T3iHpNTQZ1I7eq7LFqfefvd0
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on February 28, 2020, 10:32:56 AM

.....Direct from Mike, the owner of Barnett Clutches, who knows more about motorcycle clutches than Noel.....

Randy - RPM

Jeez Randy, don't you get tired of this nit-picking or have better things to do with you time?  You have taken a cheap shot before over a question I hadn't even answered. So, is this the future, somebody asks a question, you imagine what that someone else's answer will be and comment on it even before it's been given. Hmmm, interesting.

As for "Mike", it is, as you are fond of saying, "but one man's opinion" and since when does owning a company make you an expert in what it does. One needs look no further than Trump to see the folly in that. Trump managed to bankrupt business's that in anyone else's hands were a licence to print money, and he did so repeatedly.

Also, the knowledge you attribute to "Mike" is overstating the complexity of a clutch. A motorcycle clutch is an incredibly simple thing in it's operation, the only thing that's remotely complex is the friction material, which in all likelihood, is not even developed or produced in house.

Randy, given your favourable comments about Barnett and your apparent familiarity with "Mike", you would do well to spend an hour or so randomly reading reviews of Barnett clutches from both users and work shops. This will further expand your knowledge and enable you to better serve you customers, and, you might find it interesting.

As for the piston speed and valve post I would love to answer it, it is one of my favourite topics but we seem to be stuck on overfilling sealed bearings, repeatedly taking mechanic jargon literally and your fascination with the word "churning" :biggrin:

Your quote:

Direct from Mike, the owner of Barnett Clutches, who knows more about motorcycle clutches than Noel and the rest of the forum combined, insists on soaking the clutch frictions overnight in the oil they will be operating in.

....but his website says this:

Maybe Mike had better have a chat to his tech dept and find out whats going on!

The most recent advice I gave elsewhere on the matter said this:

"If I remembered, I would dip them in oil prior to installation but if I forgot, I wouldn't be pulling them out just to do it" (This is based on my rule of thumb that anything that operates in oil should be fitted wet)
There's not much difference between a dip and 5 min soak on material that dense. In fact I wouldn't even call 5 mins a "soak"

So it seems Mike's website and myself are the most closely aligned. The only one that seems out of kilter is Mike himself. Maybe Mike doesn't know more than me after all. :biggrin:

You were correct on the float, that was indeed written with brass floats in mind.

You know, that comment of Alan's (Sparky) was just a bit of humour, a throw away line, it didn't even require an answer, until your comments! :dash2:

Noel  :boredom:

krusty

Hmmmm. Oiling clutch plates. Who'd have thought it?
I'll let my mate in on that little secret, he owns a Ducati. 
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

racerrad8

You know Noel, I was just responding to the fact you have no issue posting you underhanded, snide comments and cheap shots on this forum for many years now.

Hello Captain Obvious...

No shit Alan was joking. I guess since you don't want to joke about it, then I will let it rest.

I can't wait to hear about your personal experience on piston speed being the limiting factor of the FJ engine. I made a new topic for you:  Piston Speed is the limiting factor?

Back to the regular scheduled topic, I hope everyone has a great time this coming weekend.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM