News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Bryan's 1989 FJ1200 rebirth in Poplar Grove, IL

Started by Waiex191, May 15, 2020, 10:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

Piston and seal kits are not that expensive and are simple enough to fit (although I've only done my clutch and rear master cylinder ones that were leaking, not seized).....but then again, neither is that full FZ1 set up on eBay  :sarcastic: :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Waiex191

I just bought the $75 master/calipers/hoses one on eBay. That piston is stuck.  It's a sign!  Thanks for that link and the education Dean and DavidR.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Waiex191

Because I'm on hold for my new FZ1 brakes to arrive, I switched to working clutch hydraulics.  There was still fluid in the MC but it didn't look great.  I could see the piston was moving with the lever - a real plus.  I think I'll take it apart anyway.  I used shop air to pop out the piston.  It was all pretty gunky inside.  Cleaning time.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Millietant

And you get a nice adjustable spa not brake lever with it too  :good2: :good2:
Dean

FJ_Hooligan

You might even be able to use those brakelines.  The calipers I bought were off an R1 or R6.  The lines were too short to work on the FJ.  But, I already had SS lines on it anyway.
DavidR.

Millietant

Even if not David, the flexible rubber FJ lines fit and can take up the slight change in banjo angle on the calipers.

I put them on my 2nd FJ with the original hoses initially, but when I put them on my main FJ, I used new braided stainless lines (replaced the old braided lines I had on, which had tacky blue/red connectors and banjo's) which make the angle adjustment really simple (loosen off, twist and re-tighten  :good:). I also kept the FJ brake splitter, but as Bryan has got the FZ1 unit he could also check to see if that fits too.
Dean

Waiex191

I'll use one of those sets of brakelines if I can.  I would not mind fabricating a set.  I found this company:
https://shop.revivalcycles.com/motorcycle-parts/brake/

Not sure if that is the best source of parts or not.  Also I wonder why there is a splitter rather than having two lines off of the master.  Would that be better or worse?  Would be two less banjo fittings and no splitter.

Too bad I spent all that time working on my calipers.  Maybe I can ebay them off, but not sure they have a lot of value.  Ooh, I know.  I can fit them to my GN400. 
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

Waiex191

If I was to make my own brake lines, any reason I shouldn't get a double banjo bolt for the MC and run two lines, rather than use a splitter?
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

fj1289

I think that is a better arrangement.   Makes it easier to thoroughly bleed the system. 

Millietant

Quote from: Waiex191 on June 10, 2020, 10:00:58 PM
If I was to make my own brake lines, any reason I shouldn't get a double banjo bolt for the MC and run two lines, rather than use a splitter?

No reason, many people do - I'm certain in extreme conditions, ie racing, the 2 line set-up is definitely better.

Personally, I just prefer to have as few things as possible cluttering up my handlebar area and like the idea of the splitter. The improvement gained by having 2 separate hoses is not something I think I would be able to detect, or feel, in normal road use - given how much better than original FJ my brakes already are (FZ1 m/cly, R1 calipers, braised hoses and 320mm discs).
Dean

Waiex191

My main thought of running two lines off the master is two less banjo fittings - at $20 each it is less money even considering the extra foot or two of line at $6/foot.  I can see it being easier to bleed also.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

fj1289

Another way ito run two lines is the Suzuki method - one line from master to right brake caliper, double banjo, and short line over the fender to the left caliper.  Probably less line used and only 3 banjos - but probably more difficult to bleed. 

Waiex191

Quote from: fj1289 on June 11, 2020, 09:54:53 AM
Another way is to run two lines is the Suzuki method - one line from master to right brake caliper, double banjo, and short line over the fender to the left caliper.  Probably less line used and only 3 banjos - but probably more difficult to bleed. 
Interesting.  I had thought of that, and considered posting it, but rejected it due to the high spot above the bleeders.  It is less line but the same amount of banjos - two for each line, two lines, so 4 banjos instead of 3.  Unless there are banjos with two line connections out there.

In conjunction with that crazy idea, I had also considered finding or making adapters for the calipers to iso bubble flares.  I could plumb the lower forks with hard line, and run a single stainless braided line from the MC to the lower forks.  I think I'm over that now.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

fj1289

I should have been more clear and stated "banjo bolts" vice banjos.  Yes, same connectors and fasteners either way you run two lines between three points. 

Waiex191

So it looks like the Spiegler lines from RPM may be a little cheaper than DIY, assuming a 2-line setup.
http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S-YA0146&cat=39

Has anybody used these with the blue spot monoblock calipers?  I guess when I get them I'll see if the banjo fittings are in the same spot or not.

Also the picture at RPM shows a 2-place banjo bolt, but the text says no banjo bolts.  Anybody know if that bolt is actually included or if that is just a serving suggestion?
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL