News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Wheel bearings SKF 6302 z

Started by Old Rider, June 26, 2020, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Rider

Has anyone tried the SKF 6302 Z bearings on frontwheel i read that they are for washing machines but skf is top quality.
I tried allballs 2 times and they where toast after a couple of months.
Here in Norway
SkF cost 10 usd for 1
Genuine yamaha cost 35 usd for 1

TomJK

http://www.fj1200-3cv.de/_FJ1200/01-Fahrwerk/Lagerabmessungen/lagerabmessungen-FJ.htm
I use them, till now, done 30000 km no problems, cheaper still in Germany, many suppliers....
Cheers, Tom.
Past bikes : BMWR90-S,BMW R100CS, Ducati 900SD, Kawasaki GPZ600,Yamaha FJ1200,Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (4x),Kawasaki ZZR1200, Honda CBR1100XXX,Yamaha Thunderace, Kawasaki ZX10R (3X),
Aprillia Falco,Honda CBR600F4I, bikes today : Kawasaki ZX10R (C1, the best!),Yamaha FJ1200, soon to come Kawasaki Z900.....

Old Rider

Quote from: TomJK on June 26, 2020, 09:54:09 AM
http://www.fj1200-3cv.de/_FJ1200/01-Fahrwerk/Lagerabmessungen/lagerabmessungen-FJ.htm
I use them, till now, done 30000 km no problems, cheaper still in Germany, many suppliers....
Cheers, Tom.

Okay thats good news after looking on you profile picture i can see they also work at a little speed  :smile:

Charlie-brm

SKF does make reliable bearings, i.e. manufacture bearings, not just import and distribute bearings.

That Z designation means the bearing is enclosed on only one side and with a steel shield. ZZ means a shield on both sides.
There are shields and then there are seals - different.

Finally online I saw the characters that prodded my memory when I saw them: 2RSH
That is 2 Rubber Seals. (H? I don't know what that's for).
I always buy the bearings closed on both sides with rubber/polymer seals: So 6302 2RSH if it is an SKF. I don't play with opening them and adding extra grease. The set I have in now were installed in 2014, used under Canadian weather conditions.

This site has excellent information on the designations; easier to digest than the official SKF site.
https://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/6302-2rs-skf-deep-groove-bearing-15-x-42-x-13mm/
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

Old Rider

I know about the z or zz .The ones i have ordered has a picture showing that they have metalshield on both sides even if they are named with only one z hope they just named it with one z by mistake.
the genuine yamaha rearwheel center bearing has only 1 z  6304Z but has metal shields  on both sides if i dont remeber wrong?

CutterBill

Yes, SKF are top-quality bearings. You won't any problems with them.

Whenever I replace a bearing, I always use the -2RS (rubber seal, both sides.) Yamaha used shielded bearings (Z or ZZ) because they are a few pennies cheaper than the sealed bearings. And if you're curious, the letter after the -2RS denotes the type of rubber used. Sometimes that matters. In our bikes... not so much.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Old Rider

Quote from: CutterBill on June 27, 2020, 05:08:24 AM
Yes, SKF are top-quality bearings. You won't any problems with them.

Whenever I replace a bearing, I always use the -2RS (rubber seal, both sides.) Yamaha used shielded bearings (Z or ZZ) because they are a few pennies cheaper than the sealed bearings. And if you're curious, the letter after the -2RS denotes the type of rubber used. Sometimes that matters. In our bikes... not so much.
Bill

So then i learned somthing new today too i always tought that the bearings with metalshields was better sealed than the rubbershields ones after all some are used in washinmachines

Charlie-brm

Quote from: Old Rider on June 26, 2020, 11:28:31 AM
I know about the z or zz .The ones i have ordered has a picture showing that they have metalshield on both sides even if they are named with only one z hope they just named it with one z by mistake.
the genuine yamaha rearwheel center bearing has only 1 z  6304Z but has metal shields  on both sides if i dont remeber wrong?

A lot of parts websites just repeat a similar "close enough" looking image to save time and some file space. 1000's of line items adds up to a lot of hours of web building time. That could explain the discrepancy. Another reason to support local outlets or at least mix it up once in a while as to where one buys things.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

balky1

I was told to use NTN as those were the originals. Also cheap, I think definitely less than 10 USD for a piece if my memory is right.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Old Rider

The bearings arived in the store for me to pick up some days ago and they had metalshield on both sides but they where named FAG
not skf. By that time i had done some more investigation about the metalshielded  and they are not sealed against water and dirt so i
asked if they could send them back and if i could make a new order (they had same price by the way) on skf bearings with rubberseals.That was okay with the store.

Old Rider

Quote from: balky1 on July 06, 2020, 03:49:51 AM
I was told to use NTN as those were the originals. Also cheap, I think definitely less than 10 USD for a piece if my memory is right.

I tought that NACHI  made in japan was the orginal yamaha part but they are wery expensive at yamaha store and cant find another seller i Norway

Pat Conlon

The original bearings in my USA '84 were Koyo.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

balky1

Quote from: Pat Conlon on July 06, 2020, 12:16:19 PM
The original bearings in my USA '84 were Koyo.

Koyo, right, my mistake!

I've put Koyo, not NTN.  :rofl:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Hasse

This was informative!
But I still have a few questions..

I have 2 SKF 6302-2RSH, and it looks like they go to the front. Right?
Then I have 2 SKF 6304-2RSH, looks like it`s rear center?
Then 1 SKF 6305-2RS1, dos it go on my -87 FJ1200 anywhere?
Then I have 1 KOYO 32006J HI-CAP. Is it useful for my bike?
Then I have 1 MBS 32005X, or is it SX? Is it useful for my bike?

Appreciate good answers. The season is about to start in northern Norway..

Old Rider

Hei Hasse og velkommen til forumet ! Kjekt å se en nordlenning her  :smile: prøver å svare deg jeg

Quote from: Hasse on May 14, 2021, 01:39:53 PM
This was informative!
But I still have a few questions..

I have 2 SKF 6302-2RSH, and it looks like they go to the front. Right? Yes they do
Then I have 2 SKF 6304-2RSH, looks like it`s rear center?
Yes but in a partscataloge https://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-fj1200-1987-1tx-europe-271tx-300e1_model37295/partslist/0031.html i seen they are different  one outer on brakeside has rubbershields and the next nr 4 in illustration has one metalshield (Z)
don't think it matters if you use the rubber, but I'm not 100% sure i think i remember that the flange NR 3 in illustration will push on the rubber or something
Then 1 SKF 6305-2RS1, dos it go on my -87 FJ1200 anywhere?  This one goes in the rearwheel hub carrier outer left  in the catalogue it has metalshield but rubber has better protection against water
Then I have 1 KOYO 32006J HI-CAP. Is it useful for my bike? This is the lower steering stem
Then I have 1 MBS 32005X, or is it SX? Is it useful for my bike?  This must be upper steeringstem but not sure it fits

Appreciate good answers. The season is about to start in northern Norway..