News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

2020 Vintage Yamaha Rally and piggyback VFR Rally

Started by aviationfred, September 17, 2020, 02:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJmonkey

Living the dream Fred, thanks for posting, I get to see some really good places to ride.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Sunday, I loaded up and headed out for my trip west towards home. I deviated my route and headed towards St. Louis, Missouri.  The next day, I arrived in Columbia, Missouri to meet up with Steve Baumann for an afternoon of riding the winding roads of North Central Missouri. I followed Steve out into the Countryside, riding the Alphabet Soup roadsthrough of Boonville, Glasgow and Fayette to name a few. He took me to one of his favorite stops overlooking the Missouri River and to the largest Burr Oak Tree in the state.

This wraps up the trip as the 5 hour drive home to Wichita was uneventful. I hope everyone has enjoyed this trip. Looking forward to this time next year and heading West for the RPM Rally.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ribbert

Thanks Fred, wonderful photos, we all love bike photos! In a year of so many cancelled events you were lucky to string a couple together and in such good riding country.

That VFR is a very good looking bike for the year.

Last week I asked the question on another site, if you had $15k ($10k-$12k in the US) to spend on a second hand Sports/Touring bike, what would it be? I got 97 responses. The recommendations were the usual mix, FJR's were well represented and one of just about every bike ever made got a nod at some point.

What surprised me was there was only one Harley (out of 97) and a surprising number of VFR's, way more than I would have thought and the recommendations came with a lot of passion for the bike. I was particularly surprised by the riders who'd previously ridden big bikes, like GTR1400, FJR, ST1300, Ninja 1000 who raved about their VFR's.

It seems they have a bit of a cult following and their owners love them. This was on a site specifically for motorcycle road trips so the participants were mostly open road and long distance riders.

Your building quite a stable there Fred. Thanks again for the report, most enjoyable.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rlucas

Quote from: aviationfred on October 10, 2020, 12:47:00 PM

I did get to ride The Snake, US421 from Mountain City, TN to Shady Valley. A much more fun road than the Dragon.

Agreed. My favorite piece of road. Fell in love with it at my first Spring Rally in 2005. The Spring Rally always seems to coincide with a British bike gathering of some sort, and they all show up at the Shady Valley Country Store. Pretty cool.

Did you try the Rainbow Trout BLT in Little Switzerland? It's amazing. The road's not bad, either (the Little Switzerland Loop) but sometimes there's a lot of sports cars.

rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

aviationfred

Quote from: rlucas on October 13, 2020, 04:02:02 AM
Quote from: aviationfred on October 10, 2020, 12:47:00 PM

I did get to ride The Snake, US421 from Mountain City, TN to Shady Valley. A much more fun road than the Dragon.

Did you try the Rainbow Trout BLT in Little Switzerland? It's amazing. The road's not bad, either (the Little Switzerland Loop) but sometimes there's a lot of sports cars.

rossi

Breakfast and dinners were at the Skyline Inn. The roads in that area are spectacular.... I have no idea if we rode The Little Switzerland Loop or parts of it.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

giantkiller

Thank you Fred. I haven't had a real ride in almost 3 years. I've been surviving on your posts and others. Helps keep me almost sane. :wacko3:
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

FJ1200W

Great pictures and what a trip you had!
Thank you for swinging by my little neck of the woods.
It was a break I much needed!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA