News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

For those who tow...

Started by ZOA NOM, November 04, 2020, 11:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZOA NOM

Well, Noel, if you read from the top of the thread, you would see that it is about towing an FJ, and the various options available. If you choose to tow the bike from its front wheel, and allow the rear to roll, the chain should be removed so the transmission will not be harmed. This is why I'm interested in towing the opposite end of the bike.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Old Rider

An option is just to remove the engine and then take the transmission out ,but that is a little more time consuming i think

fj1289

Is there anything in the instructions about a steering damper?  I know most sport bikes these days have them standard.  I wonder how well the geometry works with the steeper fork angle?  It should act like a trailing link being pulled in reverse and be very stable.  But I wonder if some combination of speed and bumps could cause a wobble similar to the wheels on a shopping cart (trolley)?

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 10, 2020, 08:50:29 AM

Well, Noel, if you read from the top of the thread, you would see that it is about towing an FJ.......... and allow the rear to roll, the chain should be removed so the transmission will not be harmed.

Very funny Rick.

Anyway, it appears my question isn't going to be answered, so I'll drop it.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

fj1289

Noel - my guess is the output shaft is pressure lubricated - not splash lubricated like an old style truck manual transmission.  That said, the FSM does show pressure feed to the output shaft of the transmission - but I'm not sure what gets it.  I do know the transmission that came out of the engine I had with the spun rod bearing also suffered a lubrication failure and required a bushing to be replaced.  I'd guess short distance and low speeds everything would be fine.  I'd be leery of longer distances or higher speeds - but out of ignorance rather than knowledge!  As I've gotten older I've learned to respect not knowing what I don't know a little bit more!   :drinks:

But then again, I really prefer towing in an enclosed trailer - but my formative years on that were in Florida with frequent rain showers to and from a race track. 

ZOA NOM

Maybe I missed your question, Noel. I answered why the chain shoul be disconnected at least twice and provided an image of the factory's caution. I'm not sure what question you still want answered.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ZOA NOM

Quote from: fj1289 on November 10, 2020, 02:44:38 PM
Is there anything in the instructions about a steering damper?  I know most sport bikes these days have them standard.  I wonder how well the geometry works with the steeper fork angle?  It should act like a trailing link being pulled in reverse and be very stable.  But I wonder if some combination of speed and bumps could cause a wobble similar to the wheels on a shopping cart (trolley)?

This was addressed in the AV rider forum link above. It was resolved with tire pressure and tight straps.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

fj1289

Admitted I just looked at the ADV link.

Is the one pictured in the link a prototype?  Appears it is not painted?  Also, guessing this was a DIY project initially?  Really surprised to see the pivot bolts mounted in single shear vice double.   It would only take a very simple design mod to correct that.  Also would be a good time to incorporate a replaceable bushing for those wear points too.   

ZOA NOM

Quote from: fj1289 on November 11, 2020, 11:36:48 AM
Admitted I just looked at the ADV link.

Is the one pictured in the link a prototype?  Appears it is not painted?  Also, guessing this was a DIY project initially?  Really surprised to see the pivot bolts mounted in single shear vice double.   It would only take a very simple design mod to correct that.  Also would be a good time to incorporate a replaceable bushing for those wear points too.   

The website would suggest more than a DIY prototype. I'm going by the apparent stability shown in the product videos, but it seems to be very stable, especially compared to the one I currently use, as Pat's heart rate will support. A closer look at the single shear pivot bolts reveals gussets in the elbows of the bracket, which should eliminate stress concerns there. I'll know more when I get my hands on the actual product, and I can make a "seat of the pants" judgement about viability for the Rubenesque FJ.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

Rubenesque FJ....that's good!  :rofl:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Millietant

Quote from: Pat Conlon on November 12, 2020, 10:37:14 AM
Rubenesque FJ....that's good!  :rofl:

A FJ, lounging on a bed/sofa, with its fairing, tank and panels removed............that's an image to get excited about  :sarcastic: :sarcastic:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 11, 2020, 09:41:09 AM
Maybe I missed your question, Noel. I answered why the chain shoul be disconnected at least twice and provided an image of the factory's caution. I'm not sure what question you still want answered.

I don't know what's going on but this is a screen shot of your post.....

...you reference it but then nothing.

Anyway, I won't dwell on this, the forum has enjoyed a period of harmonious interaction between members recently and I have no wish to spoil that.

Chris nailed it. Some, but not all, motorbikes have gear boxes that are pressure fed, that is, they need oil pressure from a running motor to stay lubricated. Some even have surface mounted capillaries running inside the casing to route oil. All car gear boxes are splash feed.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

racerrad8

Is anyone else unable to see the attachment that Rick posted of the GYSM?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Firehawk068

It appeared just fine for me.

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Millietant

I can see it too, but there have been times in the past when pictures have been mentioned in posts, but weren't there- I usually put tat down to typing errors, but maybe there's something more to it!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.