News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

For those who tow...

Started by ZOA NOM, November 04, 2020, 11:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

Thanks Pat, Alan and Dean.

Noel, have you clicked on Rick's post to see if it's there?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ZOA NOM

Quick update - The hitch arrived yesterday, and appears of good strong quality. Weather has been a little sketchy, so I haven't rolled the bike out to give it a try just yet. I did install it on the hitch and it's a whole lot easier than the full ramp version, and a damned sight lighter at about 40lbs total. Super quick lift or drop using the battery powered impact gun. It reaches the ground perfectly. Looking forward to working through any of the issues identified by the ADV rider. One issue identified just mounting it up is that it sits just high enough that dropping the tailgate would punch a 13/16" hole right below the handle, so I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm sure the maiden voyage will be less stressful than the one I had with the bike hanging across the back of the truck. Stay tuned...

P.S.  Noel, there's no pictures in this one.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 15, 2020, 10:39:12 PM

Randy - RPM

Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 15, 2020, 11:06:22 PM

Sure.... :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

racerrad8

Quote from: ribbert on November 16, 2020, 05:14:49 AM

Randy - RPM

Noel

So you are now able to see the picture from the GYSM that Rick posted?

I am trying to ensure there is not something amiss with the forum. But your one work answer doesn't answer my question.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ribbert

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 16, 2020, 07:10:32 AM
Quote from: ribbert on November 16, 2020, 05:14:49 AM

Randy - RPM

Noel

So you are now able to see the picture from the GYSM that Rick posted?

I am trying to ensure there is not something amiss with the forum. But your one work answer doesn't answer my question.

Randy - RPM

I thought you were being funny and referring to Rick's post above, the one where he says there is no picture.

I'll have a look.

Noel

racerrad8

Quote from: ribbert on November 16, 2020, 07:48:29 AM

I thought you were being funny and referring to Rick's post above, the one where he says there is no picture.

I'll have a look.

Noel

Nope, my posted question precedes Rick's post indicating he did not post a photo.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 16, 2020, 09:08:53 AM
Quote from: ribbert on November 16, 2020, 07:48:29 AM

I'll have a look.

Noel

Nope, my posted question precedes Rick's post indicating he did not post a photo.

Randy - RPM

It would appear the forum has resumed normal operations.

Noel

ZOA NOM

UPDATE -

Just got back from RPM for an oil change and clutch spring replacement, along with lunch with Robert. (Thanks for the grub, BTW, and the Bakery is awesome.) It only took one good trip out to Oakdale (about 1.5 hrs each way) to convince me the MoTow is worth it's weight in gold. I love this thing. The ease of loadup and go is perfect. I installed a rear-view wifi camera in the shell of the truck to be able to keep an eye on the bike while driving, and it turns out it's pretty boring stuff. The bike stays planted, stable across all sorts of dips, bumps and grooves without a hint of trouble. The handlebar straps snug right up, crossed from opposite sides between the bars and the passenger holds behind the seat. I added a half-cover to keep the road grime from blasting the dash and inner fairing panels. It's a very neat package. Simply remove the speedo cable, and return the sheath to the front hub as normal, and no speedo worries. I'll be bringing the bike to Oregon this way. It really is the way to go.

Ready to roll -

Rear view -

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Capn Ron

Thanks for the great write-up on this Rick!  Just placed an order for one!
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

ZOA NOM

Awesome, Cap'n !  You're gonna love it.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

JPaganel

I have a cheap eBay version of this.

It is kinda sketchy in turns, the bike looks like it's falling over. I mitigate this with tying down the bars to the vehicle. I really only use it for emergency tows for me and my friends who also have old bikes and keep the speed down. And it was less than $200.

Kinda wonder if I can have my welder friends modify it to be more like this...
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle