News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

FJ2400 - Bonneville Land Speed Racer

Started by freakhousecustoms, January 01, 2021, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RPM - Robert

I'll agree that, either way, the push cable can be a royal PITA to get hooked up.

freakhousecustoms

Rode her down to the local chopper shop down the hill for a Weiner Roast last weekend.
36ºF and she started and rode pretty well.   This was just on the rear engine.

Got home before it started to snow again.

The Juggernaut: Dual-Engine FJ2400
Watch the build on The Freakhouse Customs Channel

ribbert

Quote from: freakhousecustoms on April 25, 2021, 09:49:54 PM

Haha, and here I was thinking carrying a spare ignition unit and coil in my tool box would cover any breakdown. Man, I never thought of taking a whole spare engine....next level!!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: ribbert on April 26, 2021, 05:53:25 AM
Haha, and here I was thinking carrying a spare ignition unit and coil in my tool box would cover any breakdown. Man, I never thought of taking a whole spare engine....next level!!

Noel

As this build evolves and I come up with new & more ridiculous plans, I'm going to build it with different shift rod linkages, so I can run it on one engine -the other engine off & in neutral.  If anything happens, I will just switch to the "backup motor"!

:wacko1:

fj1289

I got to thinking about shift linkages on this monster last night - extended shift linkages on the drag bike caused me enough headache I did away with it and went to a lever directly on the shift shaft - and the reverse shifting pattern that goes with it

Firehawk068

Quote from: freakhousecustoms on April 26, 2021, 11:41:11 AM
As this build evolves and I come up with new & more ridiculous plans, I'm going to build it with different shift rod linkages, so I can run it on one engine -the other engine off & in neutral.  If anything happens, I will just switch to the "backup motor"!

:wacko1:

Are you running the bike with the chain connecting the two engines?
I do believe that I read something about NOT towing the FJ in neutral, or coasting long distances with the engine off.
Something about the engine needs to be "Running" to provide oil pressure to the output shaft from the transmission, or damage will result.
If you are spinning the output-shaft of the non-running engine, you may be causing harm?
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: Firehawk068 on April 26, 2021, 09:10:14 PM
Are you running the bike with the chain connecting the two engines?

No sir.  If you watch that last video, you'll see that the runout on both driveshafts are REALLY far out.
Trying to put power into the drivetrain now, before I get to a lathe, would only break stuff.

I do believe that I read something about NOT towing the FJ in neutral, or coasting long distances with the engine off.
Something about the engine needs to be "Running" to provide oil pressure to the output shaft from the transmission, or damage will result.
If you are spinning the output-shaft of the non-running engine, you may be causing harm?

Yessir.  I need to figure that out first before I try to run one in neutral.  Like... is the transmission, sitting in an oil bath, enough to keep everything lubed?
Or does it NEED oil pressure feeding certain parts of the trans?  All good questions that I don't need the answers to right away, but I'll DEFINITELY need them at some point! :)

freakhousecustoms

Quote from: fj1289 on April 26, 2021, 04:03:46 PM
I got to thinking about shift linkages on this monster last night - extended shift linkages on the drag bike caused me enough headache I did away with it and went to a lever directly on the shift shaft - and the reverse shifting pattern that goes with it

I have some small experience with building the shift linkage.  I've got some ideas that I still need to work out... but hell, if ALL else fails, I can definitely build a HAND shift that I can power shift both engines, clutchless.   :wacko1:

fj1289

Missed this one earlier! 

How's the coupler coming along?

Love the plate on that one!  Can't imagine trying to commute to work on it or take it for a Sunday ride!

andyoutandabout

Thread Bump
Juggernaut, how are you? It's been a while since we heard of your two engined madness. I wonder when you will be running the salt flats? It would be good to witness that.
life without a bike is just life

racerrad8

He's posted a couple new videos on you tube.

https://youtu.be/d1pUkE585TM
https://youtu.be/4nbcXqsYUII

Kind of wondering on the progress myself.

Randy  - RPM
Randy - RPM

andyoutandabout

Thread bump two.
While visiting Alan and his forum famous bar and grill, I reached out via electronic arms to Fran, but alas ......radio silence.
Fran is MIA,
Unless someone knows different.......
life without a bike is just life

fj1289

Yeah - I'm wondering if he's gone radio silent due to unrelated issues (sure hope not!) or build issues (hope not too!) or if the "new" 750 Suzi has some salt plans for this year(?!), or he's making great progress and is planning to do a final reveal? (hopefully!).   (popcorn)    :unknown:     :drinks:

freakhousecustoms

Sorry, it's not an intended radio silence, just life (and the opposite) tossing a few curves my way.
:dash2:
Ultimately, I have no one to blame but myself, maybe having TOO much time over COVID made me lazy.  Right now, I'm still moving ahead with The Juggernaut, but -most likely- will not be running it this August, I just let too many things slide.  I'm currently in a mad scramble to build/re-build one of my older Salt Race bikes for August 2021.. and then I still have to decide if I want to run in the 750cc class or the 1350cc.  Instead of trying to rush to get the FJ(x2) completed, I'll push it's racing debut out to 2022... but I'd really like to roll it across the Salt this year just around the pits to see how she feels.

fj1289

Just glad to know you're ok and the project is still going forward!  Definitely understand delays along the way - I still need to get moving forward on mine, but that looks to be another month off still.