News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Thundercat wheel

Started by Juanlamola, February 08, 2021, 03:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj1289

Luckily it's a lesson learned on a part you can replace easily if needed. 

There ain't no way I'd try another machinist if you've got a good one!

dammag

I finally got my Thundercat rear wheel conversion sorted.

I went back to the machinist and he milled the caliper mount parallel this time, still the same dimensions as in the instructions, 8mm off to make the caliper mount 19mm.

When I installed the newly machined caliper mount and the left hand spacer that was turned down from 19mm to 11mm I noticed there was about 2mm of axial clearance before the axle was tightened. I measured the original FJ right hand spacer (as it was previously mentioned by others) and it measured 13mm, perfect for taking up the clearance.

I installed the FJ spacer and along with the reversed sprocket the chain alignment seems good. The caliper now also lines up with the rotor.

One other thing. I originally used new Ferodo rear pads but these measure 9.7mm depth, including the backing plate. While these fitted they were too thick to allow the caliper pistons to retract properly. I have ended up using DP brake pads. These measure 8.3mm depth and now there is no drag.