Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

she won't start now

Started by 5speed, May 22, 2021, 08:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5speed

Quote from: ribbert on May 23, 2021, 06:00:39 AM
Quote from: giantkiller on May 22, 2021, 03:59:58 PM

I just changed mine to a pingle. Removed the  upper black wire mesh on the side panel. ( if I remember right you have to bend it down. It's been awhile. ) you don't even notice its gone. Then you can reach in and shut off turn on.  Got sick of having my crank case filling with gas.

Dan, why wouldn't you use a vacuum or electric flow valve, once fitted you never need give it another thought for the life of the bike, no need to turn on/off every time you ride/stop.

Both have been done successfully by members and proven over many years of use and as the default is closed, you never have to worry about a crankcase full of fuel or contaminated oil again, ever, nor will you wake up at 3.00am wondering if you actually did turn the fuel tap off or what ignition sources might lurk in the garage that could ignite 20 litres of gasoline fumes and launch you into the next suburb.

A quality fuel shut-off solenoid can be bought for under $30.

Noel
I'm interested as well. I don't want a petcock that I have to butcher the bike to get at or have to remove the side panel every time I want to ride or get back from a ride.
Those pingle petcocks are stupid expensive..
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

ribbert

Quote from: giantkiller on May 23, 2021, 07:42:57 AM

I just changed mine to a pingle. Removed the  upper black wire mesh on the side panel. ( if I remember right you have to bend it down. It's been awhile. ) you don't even notice its gone. Then you can reach in and shut off turn on.  Got sick of having my crank case filling with gas.

Dan, why wouldn't you use a vacuum or electric flow valve, once fitted you never need give it another thought for the life of the bike, no need to turn on/off every time you ride/stop.

Both have been done successfully by members and proven over many years of use and as the default is closed, you never have to worry about a crankcase full of fuel or contaminated oil again, ever, nor will you wake up at 3.00am wondering if you actually did turn the fuel tap off or what ignition sources might lurk in the garage that could ignite 20 litres of gasoline fumes and launch you into the next suburb.

Noel

Sounds like a good idea.  I didn't know about them. I have done the go back and check thing. Where does one get a good quality one?  Thanks Noel.

Dan, here's some photos of a typical install. I can't make a recommendation about a specific unit but a solenoid is pretty simple and hard to muck up. I know for a fact the one pictured cost $27, was a random ebay purchase, came from Hungary of all places and has done probably 50k since the installation. The default setting is closed and it has a manual override (the knob with the spanner flats) should it fail, it's win, win and peace of mind to boot.

One of our prolific advisors has previously suggested fitting such a device would restrict fuel flow and starve the engine, this is not the case, the internal diameter is the same as the fuel hose.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

5speed

hopefully this will help you guys that actually understand circuit diagrams better then I do. lol
From my limited understanding..the sending unit, fuel gauge, low fuel warning light, petcock are all tied together?

1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

Old Rider

I once replaced the diaphragm in the petcook because it was in bad shape and leaked vacuum.When testing it after it still leaked vacuum i then found a airleak at the backside where the wiring for
the solenoid enter .The old rubber grommet had cracks.Fixed that with heat and fuel resistant flange silicone and now it holds vacuum.
I'm bad at fixing electrical stuff but i know you can test the solenoid by just have the ignition on and the engine stop switch turned on .then toggle the reseve switch if the solenoid makes clicking noise it works.

5speed

tks. I'll give that a go. I have a feeling it's something simple because the bike worked before I removed the petcock to do the elbow safety wire thing. Maybe that caused a leak.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

5speed

siliconed around the screws and wires for the solenoid..
if that doesn't work this may be my next option. the holes are 44mm center to center and the fj's are 46 so a bit of slotting would have to be done to get it to fasten.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/223642774351
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

Pat Conlon

Proper Fuel flow is important on our gravity fed systems, especially with a low fuel level in our tanks (low head pressure) At 7,000+ rpm (aka: kookaloo zone) our 1200cc engines get thirsty.
There is a reason we use a 10mm fuel line and not a 1/4" fuel line.
Look at the outlet on that FleaBay petcock. Look at the outlet on your oem petcock.

Just be aware of the difference, you will probably be ok with the FleaBay petcock...probably.
However, if it stops working....there is no prime function you can use to get you home.

My recommendation for the oem Yamaha 84/85 petcock still stands.
Did I mention that it was plug and play?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

5speed

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 23, 2021, 02:11:05 PM
Proper Fuel flow is important on our gravity fed systems, especially with a low fuel level in our tanks (low head pressure) At 7,000+ rpm (aka: kookaloo zone) our 1200cc engines get thirsty.
Look at the outlet on that FleaBay petcock. Look at the outlet on your oem petcock.

Just be aware of the difference, you will probably be ok with the FleaBay petcock...probably.
However, if it stops working....there is no prime function you can use to get you home.

You did and it's still on the list. I really don't want to be pulling the side panel off twice every time I ride though.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

Pat Conlon

Quote from: 5speed on May 23, 2021, 05:18:26 PM

You did and it's still on the list. I really don't want to be pulling the side panel off twice every time I ride though.

You did not understand what I said.
The Yamaha oem 84/85 petcock is not a manual petcock....it's vacuum actuated just like your 86/87 petocock.
The only difference is that the 84/85 does not have the electric reserve valve.

I'm done, best wishes.

5speed

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 23, 2021, 05:33:09 PM

You did not understand what I said.
The Yamaha oem 84/85 petcock is not a manual petcock....it's vacuum actuated just like your 86/87 petocock.
The only difference is that the 84/85 does not have the electric reserve valve.

I'm done, best wishes.
I must have read the "remove the side panel" in another thread when I searched for previous threads on this issue.
My apologies Pat.
If my silicone repair doesn't work then an 84 one it is.
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

Pat Conlon

giantkiller

Quote from: 5speed on May 23, 2021, 08:49:18 AM

Noel
I'm interested as well. I don't want a petcock that I have to butcher the bike to get at or have to remove the side panel every time I want to ride or get back from a ride.
Those pingle petcocks are stupid expensive..
I hardly call what I did butchering the bike.  If I  didn't tell you you would never  noticed. The  bottom  still has the screen.  I had  a  pingle copy off fleaBay. Had to replace it when I was at the rally in California. RPM. Took the leaking fleabay pingle copy off. And installed the real one no charge.  Haven't had a problem many years since.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

giantkiller

Petcock is easily reached right there. With gloves on.
But I do like the extra security of the auto shut off. Thanks
Noel
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

5speed

:drinks:  success. It holds vacuum and it fires up and idles. However after going thru that song and dance I'm going to order an 84 one from Randy later for my "parts dept".
I want to put a few miles on it and see if there are any issues that need to be addressed.
giantkiller..I looked at that mesh and I just can't do it. I cringe when I watch people cut up muscle cars or any old car that is getting scarce.. :nea:
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

ribbert

Proper Fuel flow is important on our gravity fed systems....

Yes it is Pat, that's why the inside diameter of the valve is the same as the fuel line, fuel flows at the same rate as if it was continuous fuel line. Does that make sense?

....you will probably be ok with the FleaBay petcock...probably.

EBay is not a brand. That bike pictured has already travelled more miles since fitting the solenoid valve than the majority of members will do over their entire ownership. There are some things you can afford to buy cheap and the simplicity of solenoid valves, and my experience with them, supports this, and if it fails, so what, they're cheap and it won't leave you stranded (it can be operated manually). The default is the "closed" position, just how you want it. I've been fitting these to gravity fuel systems for decades.

Pat, that is simply not true, a "manual override" is as the name suggests, if it fails, the valve can be opened and close manually by turning the manual override knob. This function serves as both a "prime" and an emergency override feature.

So, now we've dealt with your concerns I guess we can expect a hearty endorsement of this mod from you the next time someone raises it.

Pat, you opposed this mod the first/last time it was raised as well, citing the same objections, even taking the extraordinary step of discrediting me as well for good measure and here you are doing it again (minus the personal slight). I don't know why you'd bother, if you don't like it or understand it, just move on. It's a popular mod about which I've never heard a single complaint and one from which many folks could benefit. With plenty of advice posted here that could be legitimately challenged, why pick on something that can't.

The irony of you telling me "...you (being me) don't know what you're talking about...." lives on in your posts. :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"