News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

she won't start now

Started by 5speed, May 22, 2021, 08:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

Noel, take a chill pill. My post was not directed at you or your solenoid.
I was responding to 5 speed's post (#35) which immediately preceded my post (#36)
Quote from: 5speed on May 23, 2021, 01:43:41 PM
siliconed around the screws and wires for the solenoid..
if that doesn't work this may be my next option. the holes are 44mm center to center and the fj's are 46 so a bit of slotting would have to be done to get it to fasten.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/223642774351

As I've said before, I like the idea of the solenoid and your application is fine, for a fuel pump FJ.
My beef was using your 1/4" solenoid on a gravity fed system that uses 10mm fuel line.
After all, those of us who have the gravity fed FJ's (i.e not you) realize that fuel line obstruction is a concern, the same reason we don't put fuel filters on our fuel lines and why proper line routing is important.

I see no problem with a properly sized solenoid on a gravity fed fuel system.
(other than the fact that a vacuum petcock is safer....it automatically shuts off fuel flow when the engine stops, whereas your electric solenoid stays open)
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

5speed

Well, new back tire is on, chain adjusted and got an insurance quote. $78 to add her to my policy.
Going to change the oil, plate it this week and take some short rides to get used to it and see if there are anymore gremlins that I need to address.
Thanks for answering all my questions.  :good:
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

fj1289

Let'er rip!  It's not an adventure if you are sure of the outcome when you set off!

5speed

Quote from: fj1289 on May 30, 2021, 01:46:04 PM
Let'er rip!  It's not an adventure if you are sure of the outcome when you set off!
Oh I've been on those adventures..still haven't heard the end of it. lol
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

Pat Conlon

Every motorcyclist should have a pair of these under their seats.
If you ever have to flatbed your bike, these will save your FJ's fairing from damage from the big hooks used on the tow truck straps.

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

krusty

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 30, 2021, 02:49:28 PM
If you ever have to flatbed your bike, these will save your FJ's fairing from damage from the big hooks used on the tow truck straps.

I had several sets of those made up for me by a sail maker. Never thought of carrying a pair on the bike but then, it's not a HD. :shok:
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

FJ1200W

Quote from: krusty on May 30, 2021, 04:35:17 PM

I had several sets of those made up for me by a sail maker. Never thought of carrying a pair on the bike but then, it's not a HD. :shok:

OK that was funny!

I've used "soft ties" for decades.

It was great working for dealerships, as some bikes used then while crated, making them free for the set up staff.

Just a couple weeks ago, I used 4 soft ties to hold a old Kawasaki down for a 10 hour trip.

The straps didn't need any adjustment the entire trip, which amazes me. I credit the soft ties.

They do make life so much easiers.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

5speed

Quote from: FJ1200W on May 30, 2021, 06:53:42 PM

OK that was funny!

I've used "soft ties" for decades.

It was great working for dealerships, as some bikes used then while crated, making them free for the set up staff.

Just a couple weeks ago, I used 4 soft ties to hold a old Kawasaki down for a 10 hour trip.

The straps didn't need any adjustment the entire trip, which amazes me. I credit the soft ties.

They do make life so much easiers.

is that a widow maker?  :shok:

I have a set of these. they are the perfect ratchet strap IMHO..they have the spring loaded "latch" on the hooks and come with the straps.
https://www.amazon.ca/RHINO-USA-Ratchet-Down-Straps/dp/B07K3QD3JL

As for the bike on the flat bed..he is a long time friend and was extra careful tying it down. When ever I call him he answers the phone with "where are you broke down now?" lol
ETA..how are you guys posting pics that aren't "compressed" like mine are?
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

Waiex191

I had several sets of those made up for me by a sail maker.
Hey that's one of my hobbies!  Maybe I should make some.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 25, 2021, 10:38:52 AM

After all, those of us who have the gravity fed FJ's (i.e not you) realize that.......   :lol:

I see no problem with a properly sized solenoid on a gravity fed fuel system.

Pat, if someone needs to have it explained that the ID of the solenoid should match the fuel line, perhaps they shouldn't be doing there own work.

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 30, 2021, 02:49:28 PM

For the locals that don't have a personal sail maker, I bought these from Bunnings for about $15 a pair....

....and yes, they are a great idea, even though I'm yet to use mine. I have permanently stowed a pair of these (soft ties as pictured above), $100 in cash and a spare key on each bike. I also carry tools, spares and a compressor (and puncture kit of course) when leaving town.

However, deviating slightly here, the best breakdown tool is top level auto club membership, it covers bikes and bike recovery. If you've shredded a tyre, lost a chain or thrown a rod, they'll not only get your bike back home but they'll throw in a rental car and accommodation to boot.

To deviate even a little further, I also always carry and PLB, these things really bring the cavalry if you're in a spot (as in personal risk).

Sorry about the hijack, but any opportunity to get the safety message out there.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

FJ1200W

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

giantkiller

Quote from: FJ1200W on June 02, 2021, 04:43:09 PM
Quote from: 5speed on May 31, 2021, 07:06:26 AM

Yes, 1973 Kawasaki 750 H2A
My brother had one. It was over bored had expansion chambers flat slides with velocity stacks. He would pull out
to pass a car. Crack a wheely at 65mph and ride it away. :wacko1:
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

5speed

of all the bikes that were ripping around town when I was a teenager..those are the ones I remember the most. A good friend has one unrestored in his garage. No it isn't for sale. I ask him all the time. lol
1986 FJ1200
2000 Roadstar
1976 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1982 GL1100 (sold)

ribbert

Quote from: giantkiller on June 02, 2021, 05:05:58 PM

My brother had one. It was over bored had expansion chambers flat slides with velocity stacks. He would pull out
to pass a car. Crack a wheely at 65mph and ride it away. :wacko1:

Dan, you're spot on about the wheelies, a hot engine may have made them easier but bog standard was enough.  This was an era when bikes that would easily wheelie in the hands of average riders was rare and it was a party trick the H2 owned, it's little brother probably being the RD.

Everyone remembers these as motorcycling's wild child of the 70's but in reality, they only made 5 or so more HP than the comparatively dull offerings from Honda and Suzuki at the time, the 750/4 and the GT750. But, like everyone else, my memories of them are also of a barely tameable beast, all 75 hp of it. Just surviving the ownership of one came with a certain amount of street cred. These things were so light in the front you could pick up a complete engine off the floor with one hand.

I think the "Widow Maker" moniker and wild reputation was more about the coat hanger wire frame and forks, screen door closer shockers and light front end than it was about brutal power. They were surprisingly torquey for a 2 stroke but still had that wonderful rush of top end power.

In my only ever accident involving a car, I put mine into the back of one at 80 mph. I had just done the very thing H2's excelled at, a wheelie, in front of the Saturday morning crowd at the biggest bike shop in town. (aaah, the folly of youth!) I think it was about this time I coined the advice, "never ride for the camera or the crowd."  Advice I still give to this day.

On seeing the car, I instinctively grabbed the front brake, even though the wheel was airborne, and dropped the now locked front wheel onto the road which instantly slammed the bike on it's side, all in a nano second. The bike went under the car like a giant wedge with the front wheel ending up under the gearbox and both of the car's back wheels jacked off the ground, still ticking over in reverse. The bike's entire length was under the car. When the tow truck lifted the car, the bike had to be pried away from it with some difficulty as it had wrapped itself around the underside.
That was an accident that could have and should have killed me, I walked away with no more than a damaged knuckle on one finger and a couple of abrasion burns to the underside of one forearm and the palm of one hand through my leathers from where I first hit the road. I had completely cleared the car except for clipping one hand on the boot (trunk) lid and landed on the road in front, arms first but without breaking a bone.

An irony about that accident was they took the elderly car driver's licence from him permanently. Also ironic was that this happened within the CBD grid and I was never charged with any traffic offences, such as speeding, even though it progressed to court.

The great thing about being young? I left  the wreck at the bike shop, went home and got another bike and went riding for the rest of the day, before the pain set in. The following day I felt like I'd been hit by a bus.

That was an era when engine development had leap frogged chassis design and many of the big bikes of the day were considered death traps off the showroom floor.

That was almost half a century ago and only a couple of years back I met someone who was there! He still remembered it clearly and said it was spectacular.

I worked on lots of these, they were prone to oil pump failure with many ridden to destruction (or at least considerable damage) before it was picked up. It's how I bought mine cheap, I was running it on pre-mix until such time as I got around to fixing it, which as it turned out, never happened.

The fuel supply was a clever pressurised system similar to that used in the early FJ's.

Noel