News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Small oil leak just wondering where could be coming from

Started by THXFJ1200, June 06, 2021, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THXFJ1200

Hi guys just as the picture shows that's where the oil can be seen and keeps running down, it is very little after the ride and there was a spot in the parking spot too.
I was wondering what would be the most usual suspects for his location in regards to gaskets and seals. I will take a closer look these days now that summer is here.
A hint would be very helpful to understand what am I getting into.
I have the oil filter adapter thingy from RPM so I will be working in that area. I have read about a bolt that should not be messed with in there somewhere. if someone cares to clarify which one is it so I don't touch it... That'd be great.
Thanks in advance.
Also as a "side note" ( pun) since it's not worth a new post, where can I find OEM rear indicator lenses. I cracked my right one. Are they the same and it doesn't matter which side I get?

PS after riding yesterday for only 20 minutes my fuel tank was whistling forever lol... I gather that's normal, it's just funny that my bike whistles in such a funky pitch like saying damn that was fun.  :crazy:

Just to finish cuz I am a chatterbox I went to a bike (cycling) store for parts and the sales guy asked me what do I ride by looking at my motorcycle helmet. When I said Yamaha Fj1200 his eyes opened like that's some big shit and he commented he rides a 380cc or something. But it surprised me since I don't really consider myself an advanced motorcycle rider (more of an advanced cyclist which comes in handy) but I find my Yammy 1200cc to be a very very friendly bike to ride. I commented so and he said he doesn't think he is ready to ride something that big. I was thinking unless you are looking for trouble and acting crazy these bikes do everything really well and they are easy enough to ride, close to the floor too. Anyway, I wanted to say I love my ride! Thanks for the support and happy riding this summer!!!
Keep them rubbers down yo!
Current: 1992 Yamaha FJ 1200 with ABS
Scooter Honda Elite CH150 fixer-upper
Suzuki Intruder VS800GL down in FL
Past:
Yamaha XT 350
Suzuki DL 650 "Wee-Strom" (first bike)

fj1289

The oil "might" be coming from the o-ring seal on the alternator. 

Maybe give the area a thorough cleaning.  Then start the engine with the bike on the side stand and see if you can see where the oil comes from. 

There are also three screws I think behind the alternator cover that have o-rings on them - maybe on of those o-rings are dried and starting to leak.   When you leave one of those screws out, you get a pretty decent leak ..... DAMHIK!  (That's a throw-back to the old yahoo list!)

aviationfred

The bolt head that I circled is a Case bolt. Check the torque on it.
If the oil is running down from where the Yellow arrow is, I would check the torque on the valve cover bolts and possibly replace the bolt grommets. The valve cover gasket is known to weep a bit of oil from that side as a small amount will pool in that area when parked on the side stand.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Millietant

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

THXFJ1200

Thx will be checking the torque on those screws and following the oil path.
I Will report back.
Current: 1992 Yamaha FJ 1200 with ABS
Scooter Honda Elite CH150 fixer-upper
Suzuki Intruder VS800GL down in FL
Past:
Yamaha XT 350
Suzuki DL 650 "Wee-Strom" (first bike)