News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New England machine shop recommendations?... please

Started by azuredesign, July 17, 2021, 02:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azuredesign

Hi, I am trying to find a shop that will grind my valve seats and faces. We were very lucky to have Rick Stetson in our area for a long time, but he appears to no longer be active. Thanks for any anecdotal reports of alternative shops!

With best wishes,
Ben

Waiex191

Years ago I had Norwalk Performance Workshop do the head on my GS650E.  I was happy with the work.  Using google I found a phone number but no webpage.  This was in Norwalk, CT.
Bryan
1989 FJ1200
1981 Suzuki GN400
Poplar Grove, IL

fj1289

Send a PM to JMR here on the list.  Mike Rieck - excellent work - can't wait to finish building the motor for the race bike with the head he prepped for me.  He's very well known and respected in SOHC and DOHC Honda circles - and knows a thing or two about FJ's too!  He is in Massachusetts - so not a local drop off, but we'll worth shipping to.

azuredesign

Quote from: fj1289 on July 17, 2021, 08:53:52 PM
Send a PM to JMR here on the list.  Mike Rieck - excellent work - can't wait to finish building the motor for the race bike with the head he prepped for me.  He's very well known and respected in SOHC and DOHC Honda circles - and knows a thing or two about FJ's too!  He is in Massachusetts - so not a local drop off, but we'll worth shipping to.

Thanks, Mike has been a mentor and friend for the last 15 or 20 years, and I do not think anyone has thought or done more with top ends than Mike...but, Mike has not had in house machining services for a while, and Rick has been a close associate and friend of Mike's for that while. Here in N.E., many of us are looking for a go-to shop, even as I hope strongly that Mr. Stetson will return to the throne here.

azuredesign

Quote from: Waiex191 on July 17, 2021, 03:08:37 PM
Years ago I had Norwalk Performance Workshop do the head on my GS650E.  I was happy with the work.  Using google I found a phone number but no webpage.  This was in Norwalk, CT.

Thanks very much, I will give them a call on Monday and see what is available.

captaudi

If you are friends with Mike, ask him where Dana Johnson is these days. He used to own import machine in Framingham and at one time did all of the seat/guide work for Mike. He is old school, a little odd but the work is absolutely second to none. Last I heard he had moved the shop to his house in Ashland near Mike.

HTH

Dan
93 FJ1200 FZR1000 wheels, Vance and Hines SS2R, Hank Scott jets R1 Monoblocks. Cartridge forks in the works.

1985 RZ350 couple mods

azuredesign

Quote from: captaudi on July 18, 2021, 09:18:31 PM
If you are friends with Mike, ask him where Dana Johnson is these days. He used to own import machine in Framingham and at one time did all of the seat/guide work for Mike. He is old school, a little odd but the work is absolutely second to none. Last I heard he had moved the shop to his house in Ashland near Mike.

HTH

Dan

Thanks Dan,
I believe I remember hearing that Mike and Dana worked together in that shop at one time....I will ask,  but my sense is that Dana is not working, at least in that capacity at this time...all best!

azuredesign

Quote from: captaudi on July 18, 2021, 09:18:31 PM

HTH

Dan

I spoke with Mike yesterday, who said Dana is doing well, but not doing retail machining. Thanks

azuredesign

Quote from: Waiex191 on July 17, 2021, 03:08:37 PM

They are no longer in business...thanks

RPM - Robert

We have built heads in stock with performance springs and RPM valve stem seals ready to go. Swap over your cams and let 'er rip. You can order direct below.

Cylinder head

We also have 1250cc kits ready to drop in. These have custom made barrels so they will drop into the 1100 or 1200 block without having to fly cut the case.

Drop in 1250 Kit

azuredesign

Quote from: fj1289 on July 17, 2021, 08:53:52 PM

Thanks, Mike is a friend, and lately, he tells me, he has had to send machining to Millenium in Wisconsin

azuredesign

Quote from: RPM - Robert on July 20, 2021, 12:53:26 PM
We have built heads in stock with performance springs and RPM valve stem seals ready to go. Swap over your cams and let 'er rip. You can order direct below.

Cylinder head

We also have 1250cc kits ready to drop in. These have custom made barrels so they will drop into the 1100 or 1200 block without having to fly cut the case.

Drop in 1250 Kit

Hello and thanks Robert,

My search for a local automotive machine shop is not exclusive to this bike, and will not be of infrequent use. It might also benefit a bunch of folks in our area, including local, small specialty shops, which are also in the lurch...

I will stay with my 1100 head... I'd like to keep things as stock as possible. With best regards, Ben

Old Rider

You can buy a neway valveseat cutter  with 30 and 45 degree angles and do it yourself or get someone with a little experience to help you
Here is the seatcutter i used when ovehauling my engine. also posting some spec and instructions from workshop manual.

azuredesign

Quote from: Old Rider on July 21, 2021, 01:02:58 PM
You can buy a neway valveseat cutter  with 30 and 45 degree angles and do it yourself or get someone with a little experience to help you
Here is the seatcutter i used when ovehauling my engine. also posting some spec and instructions from workshop manual.

Wow and thank you for taking the time to print and share these materials!
I am drawn to doing this, but having no experience with anything but assembling and disassembling valve trains, I am a bit shy about going this route. I want someone who is experienced to demonstrate, for example, how much play is acceptible when fitting stems to guides. Even as I don't want to have to spend too much time before getting this bike back together, and doing so to make it functional again, I am very motivated to try that with a single or a twin, just for the knowledge that doing so brings....thanks very much for whetting my imagination!

azuredesign

Thanks to all here and as well any other NE folks in the same boat I am in...based on an anecdotal recommendation from Mike R., I have contacted ABT Machine Co in Holliston MA...I will follow up to relate my experience with the owner, also Mike, and hope this is a successful association.

Best wishes to all!
Ben