News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Buggered it up re mystry relay

Started by chiz, October 11, 2021, 12:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

yes all of the single action switches are shown in their unactuated position . The multi function switches have the tables to show the connections made in each switch position. The relays contacts are shown in the position they would be with no voltage applied to their magnetic coils. You can see by the schematic that the starter cut off relay contacts remain open until the coil is energized but the kickstand relay is opposite and the contacts are closed (connected) until the coil is energized.
   The kickstand switch has a couple functions. When the stand is up the contacts close. That  connects the kickstand relay coil to ground energizing the coil and opening the contacts of the kickstand relay and allows the ignition module (the tci unit) to provide spark.When the kickstand is down the kickstand relay coil is de-energized the contacts are closed and
the B/W wire from the tci is connected to ground and that keeps the tci from providing spark and kills the engine.
  The kickstand switch when up also completes the path to ground for the wire coming from the starter cut off relay through the closed clutch switch allowing the starter to run when the starter switch is pushed.
T Legg

chiz

I have now determined for certain that my kickstand switch is unreliable and hence my reference to a jumpered KS relay in my first original post before this second but same topic and frankly I am still no further ahead why unclipping a bunch of wires under the seat and plugging them in exactly as before has stopped my starter working.

UNBELIEVABLY for the past year or more the clutch switch wires have been disconnected at the clutch which I forgot to connect after I had installed a braided clutch hose, the bike started fine all this time until recently. NOW  with clutch switch connected the start motor works wow, along the way I learned quit a bit with your help about this system, the tests will be redone and results will follow but with a jumpered KS relay I guess. I must find a reason why starter no longer works in the original configuration with the clutch switch disconnected.
Chiz

T Legg

That's great you have it starting again. I don't know how it passed the clutch pulled in and kickstand up test with the clutch switch disconnected . It sounds like you are getting the hang of working on your electrical using schematics. The more you work with your bikes electrical the easier it gets. It's a blessing to have these problems arise while your bike is at home and not out on a ride three hundred miles away. I keep a copy of the schematic with my tool bag under the seat. I'm sure with a few more sessions you'll figure out all of the electrical problems you have . It's a good feeling when an electrical problem arises on the road to have the knowledge and schematics to find and fix the problem.
T Legg

chiz

COMPLETLY CUFFUFELED NOW     I don't know if I am the only person that ever fixes stuff and doesn't have a clue how they did it but I can't be the only one?
    Get this the kick stand switch is is removed from the bike       the KS relay  LY blue yellow wire is no longer jumped to the black ground at the relay.

The clutch wires are disconnected    and when I turn on the switch key   both the KS relay and the starter cut out relay trigger  I ground the LW wire with the start button and I get fire at the start motor how is this possible? have I completely lost the plot?    How is the LY wire from the KS relay finding ground?  Blood pressure pills running low.
Chiz

T Legg

There are two sets of conditions that allow the bike to start. One set is when the  kickstand is up and the clutch is pulled in. The second set is when the bike is in neutral and for this set it doesn't matter if the clutch is pulled in or the position of the kickstand. After you have started it in neutral then pull in the clutch put it in gear but have not put the kickstand up the kickstand relay will de-energized and ground out the spark killing the engine.
 If you look at the diagram you can see the blue yellow wire of the kickstand relay can also be grounded by flowing through the diode to wire SB and then through the closed neutral switch to ground. That would be my guess why your relays are still energizing. If the transmission isn't in neutral and the neutral light isn't on check to see if the L/Y wire is shorted to ground.
Diodes only allow current to flow in one direction. Positive current can flow to ground through the fat end of the triangle but not the other direction that way putting your kickstand up doesn't make the neutral light go on.
 Good luck Chiz.
T Legg

T Legg

I checked the wiring schematic included with the owners manual to confirm my assumption that schematic in the factory service manual was wrong and the correction I made was right. The owners manual schematic matches my correction.
T Legg

chiz

Much appreciated     I had thought this too as the only way to ground was through the diode but was not sure how they worked. Putting stuff back together seems I have what appears to enormous resistances on the original plug caps going to fill with solid brass rods for now as the plugs are R type hope I don't cluck something else up
   Chiz

T Legg

I looked at the schematic for 84 and 85  FJ1100's in the files section and it is from the factory repair manual and has the wiring mistake at the clutch switch . Should it be corrected ? Are there any electrical experts out there who either agree or disagree that the factory service manual is wrong ?
T Legg