News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Texas FJ1200

Started by SpiderFJ1200, December 01, 2021, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderFJ1200

Hello all, nice to meet y'all. My name is Robert, 45, I live near Conroe, TX, and I recently picked up an old '90 FJ1200. I have a great deal of riding and mechanical experience. I've taken bikes home in boxes and made them road worthy before. Fortunately, that wasn't the case with this bike. My younger brother bought it first, then felt it was too much for him. I've had bikes in this weight class before, so I know what I'm getting into. I'm permanently disabled, for the past 15 years, so doing anything is a challenge. I didn't know if I'd ever have a bike again, but what's life without 2 wheels?

Robert Crawley
1990 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV

RPM - Robert

Ted Schefelbein

Welcome aboard! My hat is off to anyone even slightly disabled who wants to keep riding. My little brother, age 59, has been permanently disabled for a decade. No motorcycle, he is a diabetic amputee, but, used to ride.

I want to keep the "used to ride" out of my life a little longer. I'm 60.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

FJmonkey

Welcome to the FJ world.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

SpiderFJ1200

Thanks! I've made long treks from Houston to LA and back on a Ducati ST2, but doubt I can handle doing that sort of riding anymore. My immune system eats my cartilage, which is kinda like removing all the rubber off your bike and trying to go down the road with it. For the most part I'm pretty comfortable on the FJ, but I get a bit of strain on the wrists, and of course that hip muscle that wants to cramp up on occasion. So I'm just taking it easy while I find ways to make my ride more comfortable.
Robert Crawley
1990 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV

FJmonkey

Not sure if would help but some here have installed Buell foot pegs that lowers them. RPM has risers for the clip-ons. That Corbin could be re-foamed to add an inch of height if the foot Buell pegs are not enough. Lots of great ideas from members over the years.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red

Quote from: SpiderFJ1200 on December 01, 2021, 05:26:54 PMFor the most part I'm pretty comfortable on the FJ, but I get a bit of strain on the wrists, and of course that hip muscle that wants to cramp up on occasion. So I'm just taking it easy while I find ways to make my ride more comfortable.
SpiderFJ1200,

For any strain or discomfort in the arms, I would suggest getting an adapter plate and convert those mean stock bars to regular 7/8" (22mm) tubular handlebars.  Then you will have a great many choices in height, wingspan, position, angles, and tilt.  Google for the FJ handlebar conversions, and click on the [IMAGES] tab at the top of the Search results.  Most bike shops will let you take one handlebar at a time out to the bike and make a quick "hovering" check for how they might set for you.  You may need to extend control cables and tubing, but that would be true in any comfortable conversion.

We can prolly make more suggestions to further adapt the bike as may be needed; there is a lot of FJ experience here.

Best wishes.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Motofun

Welcome to the group!  FJ's are very adaptable to the rider's needs and many (most, all?) of the modifications are captured on this forum.
I was in Conroe about 10 years ago for Colin Edward's boot camp.  A very interesting time!
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Millietant

Welcome to the group Robert, great model of FJ you have there, looks like its got the more modern Yamaha monoblock front brake calipers too - a very sensible upgrade.

Regarding comfort, for longer legged riders, I notice your seat looks to have a cut-down riders perch - maybe a return to an original saddle could help ? Not sure though, what do you other guys think ??

I'd also ask a couple of questions/things for you to check - from the photo (and it could be quality), it looks like there's only one bolt holding the rear caliper in place (the top one) and it also looks like one of the footrest sideplate mounting bolts is missing - that's worth checking too. I've highlighted both points in the photo below. Might be worth giving the bike a very thorough check over before riding it anywhere  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

I was just in Central Texas and the Hill Country last week for Thanksgiving.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

SpiderFJ1200

Quote from: Motofun on December 02, 2021, 07:25:27 AM
Welcome to the group!  FJ's are very adaptable to the rider's needs and many (most, all?) of the modifications are captured on this forum.
I was in Conroe about 10 years ago for Colin Edward's boot camp.  A very interesting time!

Yeah! I know he used to live here. Don't know if he still does.
Robert Crawley
1990 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV

SpiderFJ1200

Quote from: Millietant on December 02, 2021, 09:06:30 AM
Welcome to the group Robert, great model of FJ you have there, looks like its got the more modern Yamaha monoblock front brake calipers too - a very sensible upgrade.

Regarding comfort, for longer legged riders, I notice your seat looks to have a cut-down riders perch - maybe a return to an original saddle could help ? Not sure though, what do you other guys think ??

I'd also ask a couple of questions/things for you to check - from the photo (and it could be quality), it looks like there's only one bolt holding the rear caliper in place (the top one) and it also looks like one of the footrest sideplate mounting bolts is missing - that's worth checking too. I've highlighted both points in the photo below. Might be worth giving the bike a very thorough check over before riding it anywhere  :good2:

I've already put some miles on it, driving it from Austin to Conroe. But haven't done much more riding since then. Here are some photos of the AOC.
Robert Crawley
1990 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV

Millietant

Quote from: SpiderFJ1200 on December 03, 2021, 03:54:26 PM
Quote from: Millietant on December 02, 2021, 09:06:30 AM

I'd also ask a couple of questions/things for you to check - from the photo (and it could be quality), it looks like there's only one bolt holding the rear caliper in place (the top one) and it also looks like one of the footrest sideplate mounting bolts is missing - that's worth checking too. I've highlighted both points in the photo below. Might be worth giving the bike a very thorough check over before riding it anywhere  :good2:

I've already put some miles on it, driving it from Austin to Conroe. But haven't done much more riding since then. Here are some photos of the AOC.

Just for peace of mind, I'd definitely address the sheared off bolt on the brake caliper. Not sure how that has happened, but it's definitely a red flag issue for me.

I would also be replacing the missing footrest plate bolt as soon as I could - it wouldn't stop me riding the bike, but I wouldn't want it missing for too long. I'd be surprised if someone on here didn't have a spare - or maybe even RPM might have a spare lying about that they could send you. I've got a spare you could have, but unfortunately I'm in the UK.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

SpiderFJ1200

Quote from: Millietant on December 03, 2021, 07:01:10 PM

Just for peace of mind, I'd definitely address the sheared off bolt on the brake caliper. Not sure how that has happened, but it's definitely a red flag issue for me.

I would also be replacing the missing footrest plate bolt as soon as I could - it wouldn't stop me riding the bike, but I wouldn't want it missing for too long. I'd be surprised if someone on here didn't have a spare - or maybe even RPM might have a spare lying about that they could send you. I've got a spare you could have, but unfortunately I'm in the UK.

Is this the part you're talking about? https://www.ebay.com/itm/274040938372
Robert Crawley
1990 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV

SpiderFJ1200

I am making a list of parts I "need" for my FJ. I am currently looking through MSP (Motorcycle Spare Parts). They have everything extremely well laid out for finding the exact little parts I'm looking for, but the nuts and bolts I'm missing isn't worth $40+ they're charging in shipping. And their part #'s aren't pulling up anything on RPM. Any suggestions?
Robert Crawley
1990 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV