News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Second bout with covid!

Started by giantkiller, December 03, 2021, 09:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantkiller

Finally feeling like I'm on my way to getting better.  So thought I would post my experiences. Maybe help someone else.
I put off getting the vaccine. Because of my medical conditions. ( in the accident that I was dead laying on the pavement while paramedics were directing traffic: Exploded my liver, tore my lung 2 places, torn spleen, lacerated one kidney, torn lower intestine 2 places. Second accident on Raptor: collapsed my  lungs. Or at least really contused. Emergency room  sent me to trauma center.) And because I  had a reaction to the flu vaccine 2 years ago.
So I'm not anti vax. Just afraid I might be one of the ones to die from it. But also would be more likely to die from the covid. So I finally decided to take the chance. Got first shot...on the day I was scheduled to get the 2nd shot. Tested positive for the covid End ofAugust. . Had symptoms. And talked them into giving me an x-ray of my chest  same day because of my problems. Doctor brought up the x-rays and said there's all your broken ribs. Oh looks like you've pretty much broken all of them.  But you don't have pneumonia. I  asked if there was anything I could do because of all my problems. He said no...just go home and isolate. If you're shortness of breath gets worse go to your doctor. If you're finger nails or your lips turn blue drive yourself right to the emergency.
I had heard that if you are an at-risk person you can get monoclonal iv therapy. But only if you get it during the first 5 days of symptom onset. This was Friday. And I already had symptoms for a few days. I scrambled to find any information about it. The only thing I could find was the university hospital in Madison had it. I called.  Got an answering machine. That said they would for sure get back to me within 48 hours.  My brother found a national number for monoclonal. Middle of the night by now. Someone answered right away sounds like he's in India.  I told him all of my conditions. And that I thought I would be a good candidate for it. All he wanted to know was my height and weight.  Since I'm considered fat. I'm eligible. So he could then give me the facilities in my area that were administering it. One was a hospital I've been to a couple of times and they actually seem to care.  So I  called there. Answering machine said it was monitored by the surgical supervisor on nights and weekends and would get back to you as soon as possible. Suprise called me back less than 2hrs later. She said because I was fat didn't care about my other  conditions yes you are eligible. So get your doctor to refer you. I said that's not going to happen until Monday and by then I won't be eligible. Can't I go to your urgent care and have them refer me. She said she  didn't know. And had to check and call me back. She did and said yes. But I should be sure and get there early because they only have 3 appointments on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. And one is full already. Got there as they opened in the morning. By the time I saw the doctor and they setup the appointment I got the last one on Sunday.
I went through all of this to show you not to give up. You can get it through persistence.
That said. It takes 3hours for the iv therapy.  And within 2 days it knocked the covid out of me. The nurse who administered it said she hadn't heard of anyone who didn't have it work for them. They do follow up several times after.
Okay so it works. They make it really hard to get. And you have to get it when you first get symptoms and test positive.
I got my second vaccine injection just incase. 3 weeks later tested positive again. Can't get monoclonal therapy because I already had it. In August. It has been kicking my ass. But I think I may be  pulling out of it. It's kinda weird though. I bought a pulse oximeter right away when I left the covid clinic the first time. It would drop down to 92 the 1st time. Before the monoclonal kicked it out. Then I've stayed right around 95 every since. Until this time. When I get  little cold go out to get the mail. My fingers go no circulation. Turn yellow.  Until I get them warm. Running hot water on them.  And sometimes it drops to 92. And then comes back up to 95. But sometimes it really spicks. 98.100 a couple of times.

My  daughter had been vaccinated early because she works in the same building as the covid clinic.
2 shots. Was also one of the first to get the booster shot. It's strange. But about 3 weeks after the booster she tested positive. Was very sick for 2 weeks. But seems to have fully recovered. Thank you Lord.

I am not anti vax in any way. But I'm  almost positive. That the covid has mutated beyond what the current vaccine are viable for. Making them pretty much useless. But they are still making tons of money.
They  Make new flu vaccine every year. This vaccine they are  pushing has grey hair. And  getting ready for a walker.

I  know this is horrible for many who have lost loved ones.  We Have lost one in my family. I  just wanted to show that there is what I truly believe is a cure. And don't just give in to what you are told.
Be Safe out there and do what you can.
Dan McCoy  Giantkiller.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

T Legg

I'm glad you are recovering Dan.
 Depending on where you live makes a big difference on the treatment that is available. I have had eight family members aged between 33 and 66 here in Nevada catch covid and none were offered any treatment by their doctors. They were all told to isolate and go to a hospital if they developed difficulty breathing. Fortunately none were hospitalized and all have recovered. This summer I was down in Los Angeles with my daughter while she received a bone marrow transplant. Before we returned her doctor told her that if she was even just exposed to someone with covid to immediately have a monoclonal antibody infusion. Her doctor was surprised when I told her nobody we knew in Nevada was offered treatment. In California they have tent clinics set up in many places to offer the infusion. My daughter called her oncologist in Reno and his nurse said she had never had a patient receive the infusion. After my daughter talked to her Reno doctor they were able to find a hospital that offered it and have a plan to get it quickly if she should need it.
 It is a good idea if you are high risk to talk to your doctor and have a plan before you get a positive test because as in Dan's case time runs out quickly by the time you find out you have it.
T Legg

Ted Schefelbein

Wife is fully vaxed, tested positive on Monday. At the same time that was happening at her school, my son was testing positive at his school. We are all quarantined for the last week. Their symptoms were mild, both lost sense of taste and smell. I had no symptoms. Still don't. The weird one is the dog ended up with a 24 hour cough. A serious 24 hour cough.
Work wants me out 14 days. I was never vaxed, just didn't have a good reason to do it, like Dan, I reacted badly to a flu shot in the 1990s. Allergic to every antibiotic that has ever been tried on me, doctor looks at my records and freaks if I get an infection of any sort. Been able to beat them all down, so far. No comorbidity factors. Doctor has always said, in my case, "less is more".
All seems good, right now. Good luck if you get the bug.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

Flynt

Quote from: giantkiller on December 03, 2021, 09:40:36 PM
My  daughter had been vaccinated early because she works in the same building as the covid clinic.
2 shots. Was also one of the first to get the booster shot. It's strange. But about 3 weeks after the booster she tested positive. Was very sick for 2 weeks. But seems to have fully recovered. Thank you Lord.

I hear about people getting Covid despite being vaccinated from people around my area all the time, so let me try my explanation on you Dan...  feedback welcomed since this hasn't convinced anyone to get vaccinated yet...

-----  begin story ------

The best vaccine, Moderna, is only 85% effective at preventing infection...  so out of 100 fully vaccinated folks, 15 can be expected to get Covid anyway.

That same vaccine, Moderna, is about 95% effective at keeping you out of the hospital...  so of those 15, one will need to go to into the hospital to recover.

That same vaccine, Moderna, has proven 99.999...% effective at preventing your death from covid...  so you'll come back from the hospital, unlike some.

Unvaccinated people have a 1% chance of dying if they are diagnosed with Covid...  so no vaccine means out of that initial 100, 1 dies, dozens are in hospital, and lots more will be quite sick.

------------ end of story ---------

This is all based on data collected to date, mostly from a large study in Holland, except that last death statistic...  that's from last week's Covid numbers of roughly 770,000 new cases and 770 deaths in the US.

I understand healthy skepticism, but the data at this point is pretty overwhelming in favor of vaccination (lots of exceptions for valid health/religious/etc reasons...  I'm not passing any sort of judgement here).  I will agree fully with your statement about mutation rate and am hopeful we can contain this virus, but that worry wouldn't keep me from trying to stop it now.  We've lost a few friends at this point...  even in CA and in areas with great care capabilities.  Vaccine would have prevented these deaths and I sure wish they had made a different choice, largely for the families they left behind.  It's for them that I wish people would get the vaccine.

Data aside, I've come to believe this may be a natural purge of Humanity...  Earth's answer to using it as our toilet for quite some time.  One thing is for sure, the planet will take care of itself and in a few million years will emerge just fine.  Can't say the same for us...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

giantkiller

Like I said I'm not anti vax. I just think what they are doing now is just making money off of the outdated. Vaccine and should be updated instead of just booster shot with the same formula. And I think they need to focus more of the billions of dollars on cures/ things that get you over it.

Like the flu shot. They update all the time.  It's still just an educated guess at whether it's going to work. But a fairly accurate one. I was  getting the flu shots until I had the reaction to it. That being said I still got the flu a couple of times.

I  think we all will get covid eventually. That's why I think they need to concentrate on treatments. AND  not suppress the ones they do have that they know work. Personal experience. Monoclonal has been around awhile. No one I tell about it. Has even heard of it here.  The nurse who administered it said she couldn't understand why they didn't have more appointments available on the weekends. 3sat 3sun. She said she repeatedly offered to cover the added appointments. She said I believe in this 100 percent.
They should be shouting about it from the rooftops.

But all I hear is crickets.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Pat Conlon

Quote from: giantkiller on December 04, 2021, 07:24:39 PM
.....I think they need to focus more of the billions of dollars on cures/ things that get you over it.

Glad you're ok Dan.
It is a better investment for society to invest in immunization, rather than in therapeutics.
The percentages are higher.

Cheers

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

giantkiller

I didn't start this to start a debate. I started this to inform people of a treatment. That through personal experience I know that works. Espescially since I was told I couldn't get it again. And now having to deal with it on my own a second time. It's kicking my ass.
Through personal experience  being vaccinated. Doesn't seem to be working anymore. I have it again.  Vaccines have saved billions of lives.  But  we still have the flu. Because it changes naturally. And they change the vaccine. This virus changes quite quickly it seems. But they keep pushing old vaccines. Only reason I can come up with is profitability.
Anyway I can say without a doubt. Monoclonal works. Vaccines when appropriately updated. Can work great.
This virus for some reason doesn't seem to care if you've been  vaccinated..Doesn't seem to care if you have naturally built up antibodies from having it. Probably because it mutates faster than normal naturally occurring virus. You had better hope they come up with  things that will help get you through it. Because I think we all will get it eventually. God bless you all. Even if you don't believe.
Let's all live to ride another day.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

FJ1200W

Quote from: giantkiller on December 03, 2021, 09:40:36 PM
Finally feeling like I'm on my way to getting better.  
Dan McCoy  Giantkiller.

Glad you're on your way to a full recovery.

I have friends who are anti-vaxers to one who literally had them all, plus boosters.

Whatever the individual decides is how I see it, and it's no one's business.

The hyperbole of the situation is ridiculous, IMO.

Smoke and mirrors.....

But we'll not go down that path -

One more story - There is this women I met who I could tell was a left leaner. And a totally on board with the vax and mask campaigns.

She twisted her ankle and could take take her trash out, but found someone who would. Even though the deal was that she would put the garbage bag on her porch, and it would be picked up and disposed of.
Simple. Then she requested the person wear a mask when they did so, and they complied. Later she found out said person was not vax'ed and told them they could not take her trash out anymore. WTF!

:yahoo:
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

giantkiller

So did you stop taking her garbage? Lol.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

roortcloud

Was her name Sahra Cynthia Sylvia Stout?

Ted Schefelbein

Glad she is your neighbor, and not mine. Takes all kinds, I guess. I knew a lady who used to take a cab to the food shelf.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

SpiderFJ1200

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20211209/coronavirus-attacks-fat-tissue

I have a number of conditions which would not help matters when, not if, I catch covid. I had both shots in June. I waited to avoid the crowds, but my rheumatologist said I should have been first in line. 6 months is about here, so I'm due for the booster. People in Texas are kinda cavalier, which usually suits me just fine. I believe in autonomous bodily government, regardless of the conversation, be it vaccines or abortions. But I also put plenty of stock in math, physics, and the scientific method. So far, I've been lucky. Eventually that luck will run out. Be safe, ya'll. (insert 2 fingers down emoji here)
Robert Crawley
1990 Yamaha FJ1200 3CV

Ted Schefelbein

"No one here gets out alive".

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

gumby302ho

Man I thought I was pretty beat up from all my wrecks but not even close to you. This is a pandemic of the un vaccinated. The longer this virus is allowed to mutate we are all in danger. Should be mandatory because nobody can cure stupid. If this latest variant goes through the seniors again what does that say about us. Its like facts dont matter anymore to alot of people and fake news and social media have many brain washed. My dad use to say bullshit baffles brains. Its true.

Flynt

Quote from: gumby302ho on December 17, 2021, 02:05:02 PM
Man I thought I was pretty beat up from all my wrecks but not even close to you. This is a pandemic of the un vaccinated. The longer this virus is allowed to mutate we are all in danger. Should be mandatory because nobody can cure stupid. If this latest variant goes through the seniors again what does that say about us. Its like facts dont matter anymore to alot of people and fake news and social media have many brain washed. My dad use to say bullshit baffles brains. Its true.

When leadership tests your loyalty through disbelief/discrediting of data and facts...  I can't blame the people alone. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/17/politics/house-committee-trump-covid-19/index.html

At this point however, it's hard to understand ignoring data.  Small Pox, a very slowly evolving virus compared to Corona variants, wouldn't have been virtually eliminated if handled like we're handling this as a world.  We're very lucky it's not a 50% kill rate kind of thing or it would likely be over for us by now.  We're fortunate to have had great response in vaccine development...  kind of amazing it didn't do much for the US at this point.  When the REAL pandemic shows up, I really hope the doubters will find a way to put their faith in science and give humanity the best possible shot at survival...  but it's quite obvious that won't happen.

Ride it like you stole it!

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...